Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge How Cold Temperatures Cause Difficulties for PF Patients

• How Cold Temperatures Cause Difficulties for PF Patients

Posted by Charlene Marshall on November 5, 2020 at 8:41 am

The winter months are fast approaching! Canadians were rudely reminded of that a few weeks ago, when in mid October, we had unseasonably cold days for this time of the year. We also ended up with an “Alberta clipper” which brought enough snow to cover the ground in different parts of the country …. not cool Mother Nature!

Despite the temperatures warming up now, with a beautiful weekend of 19 degrees celsius (66 F) ahead, experiencing negative temperatures and snow last weekend reminded me how much my body dislikes the cold, particularly my lungs. I wrote about this in a recent column called: How Cold Temperatures Cause Difficulties for PF Patients, as I was hoping to raise awareness about cold temperatures and lung disease. Is this something you’re bothered with as a patient living with IPF/PF?

I’m curious whether the majority of people living with IPF/PF are bothered by the cold or hot temperatures. I’ve heard complaints, understandably about both. Which bothers you more?

Charlene Marshall replied 3 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Marianne

November 10, 2020 at 8:35 am

Charlene –

Both affect me but the bitter cold is much more difficult for breathing for me.  I am not a winter person.  I like the snow when I can stay inside and away from the cold.  Another problem is I don’t like to be cooped up inside.  I prefer to be out and about most of the time.  I am sure you are dreading the cold winter in Canada.  You get more cold than we do in Ohio.  I have been enjoying the past couple of warmer day – 60’s and 70’s.  Yeah!

Marianne

• Karen Martin

November 10, 2020 at 7:22 pm

I use oxygen 24/7. I have e-tanks and they get cold quickly, as does the tubing. I have tried putting the tubing under my coat to help warm the oxygen, but it can make moving around a little tricky. Not really looking forward to winter this year. I feel for you in Canada, Char.

• Charlene Marshall

November 12, 2020 at 9:00 pm

Hi Karen,

Thanks for sharing – yes, putting the tubing in our coats to keep it warm then causes a fall risk, for me anyways! Not ideal, but I understand wanting to keep the tubing warm and I do that sometimes as well. I’m with you in terms of not looking forward to winter! Take care and stay warm.

Char.

• Charlene Marshall

November 12, 2020 at 9:10 pm

Hi Marianne,

Have the temperatures in Ohio cooled back down again? It was beautiful here the last few days but a cold front blew in and now we’re back to the cold… no snow yet though! I’m like you, I enjoy watching the snow from the window when I don’t have to be out in it. I am dreading the winter and am very much someone who likes to be outside in the summer months, but not winter 🙂
    Char.