Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums BioNews Content Flash Briefings & Podcasts Introducing Flash Briefings from Pulmonary Fibrosis News!

• Introducing Flash Briefings from Pulmonary Fibrosis News!

Posted by Charlene Marshall on May 28, 2019 at 8:38 am

Hi Everyone!

A “behind the scenes” team with Pulmonary Fibrosis News has been working hard on ensuring all content on this site is accessible to all of our forum members. We’re excited to introduce a new way to share content with you, which will be in addition to the columns and forum posts by co-moderators Charlene Marshall and Mark Koziol. Flash briefings will be available every Monday and Thursdays on the PF forums, and can be found in the new flash briefings forum.

You might be wondering what a flash briefing is, or how you can access it. Flash briefings are audio files that you can listen to on your computer, smart phone and even on your Amazon Echo device. We will be showcasing a number of different topics using this new method of reaching our forum members, and we’d love to hear from you. What topics are you interested in hearing about on the flash briefings? Message Charlene Marshall and let her know!

Please click HERE to access our first flash briefing, where our Director of Multichannel Content discusses the upcoming PFF Summit this coming November. Are you thinking of attending the PFF Summit in Texas later this year? I am thinking of it and would love to meet anyone who will be there or who lives in Texas.

What do you think about this new initiative from PF News to showcase flash briefings on various topics? 

We hope that this will be one more easy way to get information out to the IPF/PF community!

Steve Dragoo replied 4 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Marianne

May 29, 2019 at 8:27 am

Charlene –

Loved this flash brief.  I think it would be fun to attending the PFF Summit in Texas.  I am going to talk with my oldest child and see if this is something she would find interesting.  If so, perhaps we will both attend.  I want to get start on OFEV to see how I respond to the medicine before I make travel plans.  It would be fun to meet with others connected to the PF community – patients, research, doctors, caregivers, etc.

Marianne

• Charlene Marshall

May 29, 2019 at 8:57 am

Hi Marianne,

Thanks so much for your feedback on the flash briefings, I am so glad you’re enjoying them. This is something new we’re trying out and we’re excited about it! There will be another one posted tomorrow, so stay tuned 🙂

I hope to attend the PFF Summit in Texas in November, so if you do, it would be so great to meet in person! Please let me know what your daughter thinks. I’ve never been but I’ve heard it is amazing!

Take care,
    Charlene.

• Marianne

May 30, 2019 at 8:29 am

Hi Charlene –

No input from my daughter yet.  She is a veterinarian in a busy practice in PA.  Couple of my friends have weighed in.  One pro – a retired nurse.  She actually looked it up on line and asked me if it was the summit in TX.  She thought it looked good.  My other friend, not in the medical field, does not think I should go to the conference.  She is thinking along the lines that too much knowledge is not good for me.  I am wired that I want to know about research that is happening on the PF arena.  I realize not all knowledge is good but I want to know the options out there and what progress is being done regarding PF.  If I go I would love to meet up with you and others with PF.

Take care,

Marianne

• Charlene Marshall

May 30, 2019 at 1:19 pm

Hi Marianne,

Awesome, I look forward to hearing back about what your daughter thinks. I can see both perspectives of your friends, one in the sense that knowledge is power and the other worrying that too much knowledge can cause anxiety and worry. I tend to err on the side of the one who thinks you should go, but this is also how I operate: want/need as much information as I can get then I process accordingly. Ultimately the decision is of course up to you. If I can manage it financially, I will be going but we’ll see. I hope to go, it would be so nice to meet other folks with PF and also to hear the latest on research, patient care etc. Hope we get to meet!!!
    Charlene.

• Steve Dragoo

May 30, 2019 at 7:38 pm

@charlene-marshall,

Hi There – I like it! I have a flash brief: Eating fresh mangoes from the tree in our yard, fresh okra, fresh, papaya, fresh coconut water, fresh moringa, fresh sweet potato leaves, fresh ampalaya – all from the garden.  Fresh pineapple and banana from the daily market + a whole lot more. See some red hot peppers to grab soon before the birds see them.  Eating way too much… End of flash”””

• Charlene Marshall

June 2, 2019 at 12:22 pm

Hello my friend @steve-dragoo,

I’ve been thinking of you a lot and hoping that you’re enjoying every moment of your time back home! The items you mention you’re consuming – especially the fresh mangoes and coconut water- sound amazing, I am very jealous 🙂 I can’t wait to have fresh pineapple and bananas in Hawaii, I hear they’re amazing! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy … you deserve to be “eating way too much” Steve. Glad you’re back home safe and sound!

• Steve Dragoo

June 2, 2019 at 5:16 pm

@charlene-marshall

Hi Charlene,

I have never been to Hawaii and know it is an amazing state with many surprises and adventures.  I hope your trip there will be an adventure you never forget. They have one of the best coffee’s in the world Kona Gold – don’t get the blend just straight Kona Gold.  I used to buy green beans and roast them from there and it compares really well to Blue Mountain Plantation coffee in Jamacia, which has become very pricey…

We are headed to Kuala Lumpur in 2 weeks because when we return together I get a special stamp that allows me to stay in the Philippines one year on just my passport. Yes, we will visit the Petronas Towers and a lot more.  I have adjusted to the weather and my lungs seem to be doing good.  Hope to have a pulmonologist appointment soon.  Tony sent me a couple of web links for concentrators here so we will check them out soon as I have been without O2 since leaving the USA 2 weeks ago.

Stay well and let me know when you go to Hawaii, also if you need another hotel card.

Steve

• Charlene Marshall

June 3, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Hi Steve,

I am pretty excited to head to Hawaii in September! I leave September 25th and am currently thinking of a way to document my trip and “bring the forums along with me” for this upcoming adventure. Any ideas? Maybe some kind of video journal or something? I’ll give it more thought as I plan more of the trip this coming Saturday. I will be booking a hotel using the card you provided me, thanks so much for that – hoping many of the credits will work towards the hotel I book for the first two nights, then I’ll be doing Air BnB’.

So glad your lungs are adjusting to life in the Philippines, that is wonderful you aren’t needing 02. Hopefully you can get a pulmonologist set up there and enjoy your time in Kuala Lumpur, sounds amazing. Will you be sight-seeing/travelling around while there for 2 weeks?

Thanks for the suggestion on the coffee – Kona Gold – I’ll definitely check it out. You know my love and enjoyment of coffee.  Have a great day!
    Charlene.

• Steve Dragoo

June 3, 2019 at 8:57 pm

@charlene-marshall

Hi There – Yes try the Kona and give a full report.  Regards, keeping us in the loop – YouTube is good but editing can be a pain unless you are familiar. Another way might be to create a PF fan page on FB and post pics excerpts, short vids.  We would have to like that page to see it all but that would be pretty cool.

Hoping to do a lot in Kuala Lumpur such as a night time canoe ride into a firefly haven. There are nightly free concerts not far from the hotel. The street food corridor is well known for its’ local cuisine and many visit it.  There are Bat Caves, Buddhist caves, History tours of the city, museums and dozens of more things to do, just not enough time.

Trying to work over here on Upwork and recently got hired for a sort training gig with a small but international company in Australia – that helps because the time zone is only an hour apart. So I am getting settled in and have plenty of free time during the day.

Stay well,

Steve

• Charlene Marshall

June 6, 2019 at 7:58 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the great ideas! I was thinking of Facebook, although I typically don’t like that social media platform, so I’m not sure I’ll use that page but definitely something to keep in mind. While I won’t be working in my full-time role while in Hawaii (yahoo, vacation!) I’ll have my lap top to sign on the forums in the evenings, so I look forward to staying in touch that way, if nothing else. Kona coffee is absolutely on my list now! I’m looking forward to a “quiet” day on Saturday, planning more of my trip and hopefully using that hotel credit for my accommodation for the first two nights I am there.

That sounds absolutely amazing re: what you plan to do in Kuala Lumpur. The canoe ride into firefly haven sounds beautiful!

I am so glad you’re getting settled there Steve, and finding some work as well. Upwork has good options I’ve heard, I also have a friend that does Fiverr… have you ever heard of that? I think their website is http://www.fiverr.com, check it out 🙂

Take good care and go enjoy some fresh fruit for me!
    Charlene.

• Steve Dragoo

June 6, 2019 at 8:19 pm

@charlene-marshall

Hi Charlene,

Yep FB is less attractive to me all the time – maybe Instagram or pinterest?

Yes I used someone on Fiverr for editing a short website video for SASS a few years ago and recently recommended it to my son who just graduated college. There is also flexjobs, wonolo, thumbtack, and freelancer and I am sure many others too. Upwork has come a long way and is more freelancer friendly, they even make job recommendations to you and recently they signed me up for private client accounts like Indeed.com but the hours can be tough over here if I need to make calls or be at an online meeting…

When you get the kona gold – you must share and send some to the Philippines. Hawaii is halfway here so shipping a few megagrams should be no problem…

Happy weekend – Steve

• Charlene Marshall

June 9, 2019 at 8:34 pm

I am just chiming in before bed (it’s been a long day!) but …. @steve-dragoo, guess what?  The AirBnB I’ve booked in Halewai, HI has a coffee machine in my room with … Kona coffee! I was thrilled when I saw that and thought of you instantly. Maybe we’ll need to Facetime while I have my first sips while in Hawaii. So exciting!

Hope you had a lovely weekend, chat soon my friend!
    Charlene.

• Steve Dragoo

June 9, 2019 at 9:01 pm

@charlene-marshall

I just saw there are at least 4 different Kona’s on the islands.  The best will be Koa Vienna Roast straight, no blend but I’m sure it’s all good.  Facetime? Sure – if you want to see my cry in jealousy… (oppsss, I don’t have a Mac or Apple) Steve