Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: 50+ IPF & Trauma: Let’s Talk About It!

• IPF & Trauma: Let’s Talk About It!

Posted by Charlene Marshall on January 5, 2022 at 3:14 pm

People living with pulmonary fibrosis (PF), and other chronic illnesses, experience invisible symptoms that people can’t see, such as pain, shortness of breath and debilitating fatigue. Trauma as a result of prolonged hospitalizations, painful interventions or medical procedures is unfortunately another invisible symptom of chronic illness that is often overlooked. I believe this needs to be talked about more! 

In November 2017, I wrote a column called The Invisible Impact of Trauma on Pulmonary Fibrosis Patients. Check out my column if you’re looking to recognize the signs of trauma, and why it’s important to intervene when you’ve experienced it. I am hoping to soon write an updated column on this topic as I’ve had more experience now living with this cruel lung disease and I believe others can benefit from learning to recognize trauma.

Have you experienced trauma as a result of your PF?

If so, have you reached out to others for support?  What was helpful? 

Brenda replied 2 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Wendy Dirks

January 6, 2022 at 10:42 am

Hi, Charlene –

I think almost everyone who has a form of PF has experienced trauma on some level. I feel extremely lucky to have an amazing counsellor as part of my palliative care team. In fact, all of my palliative care team are wonderful, but having counselling has been particularly helpful. We meet for an online session every week and she helps me keep focussed on the positive.

I also have been attending an online Trauma Sensitive Yoga class that is very helpful as well. I recommend both chair yoga, TSY, and palliative care for everyone. I recently started relaxation therapy at the hospice, a combination of hypnotherapy for relaxation and reiki. It’s wonderful!

Best wishes to everyone!
    Wendy

• Brenda

January 10, 2022 at 10:46 pm

What is PF trauma? How or why do we need Palliative care?

I was diagnosed last June, officially. I was referred to a Pulmonary Doctor May of 2020 by my Family doctor. Because of Covid it was hard to get an appointment but I finally did April of 2021. I’m reading as much as I can about this disease. I have been on oxygen since July 2021. Seems like most people don’t go on it right away. I did see when it was prescribed that the duration was, life. I assumed that meant my PF was advanced. I asked but I  haven’t gotten an upfront answer. All this history is so you know why I’m asking what trauma is. I read something about getting palliative care lined up. My husband was in Hospice 4 yrs ago. I know I  can’t be told how long I have left but when I asked one of my doctors he asked what I meant. Is there a proper way to ask that type of question.  Thanks for any answers.