Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Is home Air Purification recommended for IPF patients?

• Is home Air Purification recommended for IPF patients?

Posted by don-graybill on November 4, 2020 at 11:22 am

I’m a 75 year old male with IPF since 2011, now on oxygen when active and doing fairly well though breathing is slowing getting more difficult.  We are considering installing a whole house air purification system in our HVAC system.  Do any of you have experience with this and recommend it.  In particular we’re looking at the “Dust Free Air Purifier” system.  Thanks!

tony-wildig replied 3 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • rjday

November 5, 2020 at 4:25 pm

I looked into it over 2 years ago, but ended up getting several Dyson air purifiers instead,  one for each room, that have worked really well. Had my lung transplant 5 months ago and am still using them regularly. Very happy with them.

• rjday

November 5, 2020 at 4:50 pm

I forgot to mention I was on Oxygen for 4 months before surgery and the purifiers were by me …on 24/7

• greg-ford

November 5, 2020 at 5:23 pm

Take a look at IQ air.  They have several that fit various rooms.   I have IPF and allergies.  Long before diagnosed with IPF, to control my allergies at night I put an IQ air purifier in my bedroom.  Noticed an allergy difference within a week.  Replacement filters are pricy but are only needed about once a year.  Have had mine for 4 or more years and still love it.  They have difference speeds on air flow which determines you filters effective life and the noise you hear at night.

Greg Ford

• don-graybill

November 5, 2020 at 6:34 pm

Thanks Guys for the input.  The purification system I’ve been looking at is a bit more expensive than your leads so I appreciate the suggestions.   But I’m wondering, have any of you done the research to determine what kind of system is needed for combating viruses to make breathing easier for on IPF patient, ie, what size micron particle should it be able to remove from the air?

• tony-wildig

November 6, 2020 at 7:09 am

@dongraybill

Hi Don. I think viruses are too small for filtration, per se. However most of these HEPA filter units use a UV light screen which is supposed to have some effect on viruses. How much remains to be seen. I have four of these units and they have definitely improved the air in our properties since installation.