• Posted by Thomas Johnson on April 7, 2022 at 7:12 pm

Hello all,

Long story short, on the advice of my pulmonologist I went to the ER last Friday for a chest CT due to pain (heaviness/pressure) inside my left ribs. After 36 hours and very numerous tests, including two CTs, ECG, treadmill stress test with echocardiogram, xray, blood tests, etc., there was no diagnosis.

This pain or pressure only presents itself when I’m lying flat, either on my back or my stomach. After 15-20 minutes, it feels like an elephant is sitting on my left side ribs! Something (gravity?) changes when I move from vertical to horizontal that triggers this acute heaviness. The CTs apparently did not show any fluid in the lungs that might be the culprit. There has been no trauma to the area.

What are we missing? Have any of you experienced a similar problem?

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Tom
    74 years old
    Combined PF and Emphysema
    Diagnosed in 2020, symptoms for a few years prior
    FVC – 75%
    DLCO – 40%

Thomas Johnson replied 2 years ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • christie

April 7, 2022 at 8:30 pm

Hi Thomas, have you been screened for pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH)? Did doctors do an EKG when you went into the ER? Sounds more like a heart problem than a lung problem to me. I’m not a doctor so take it with a grain of salt, but that’s my guess.

• Thomas Johnson

April 8, 2022 at 10:57 am

Hi Christie,

Yes, I had all the heart tests including ECG (EKG), Echo, treadmill, and CT. All checked out fine.

Tom

• christie

April 12, 2022 at 9:20 pm

Huh, well I am no help then, sorry. I hope you get some answers soon. It can be scary to not know what’s going on.

• theresa-skuczas

April 11, 2022 at 7:53 pm

Hi Thomas I have that still after they put in 3 heart stent did they do test to see if you have any blockages

• igloo

April 16, 2022 at 10:11 pm

Hi Thomas

I have had an excellent GP over a period of more than 30 years.  On a number of occasions I have suffered from pains in my ribcage, even at the front side which came and went depending on my position.  I was concerned about something serious causing it but they were resolved by a tweak to a vertebrae.  Turns out a pinched nerve was causing pain at a non-obvious location.

• Thomas Johnson

April 17, 2022 at 11:46 pm

Thank you all for your responses. I’ll do some more digging!

Tom