• Mom can no longer feed herself

Posted by Heather on January 1, 2021 at 8:19 am

Does anyone have any information regarding losing the ability to feed yourself? My mother was placed on hospice back in October and last night I had to feed her because she can no longer do it on her own. It’s as if she can’t lift the utensils. When I ask her if she is unable to do it, she argues with me and tells me that she has been feeding herself just fine. I haven’t read anything about this in any of the information packets. She sometimes appears to be suffering from something other than PF. When I speak to hospice, they tell me her vitals are actually good, all things considered. I’m VERY worried. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Charlene Marshall replied 3 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Mark Koziol

January 1, 2021 at 9:06 am

Hi Heather, I would suggest speaking with your mom’s physician. It sounds like she could be experiencing delirium. I don’t know if this a common symptom in end stage fibrosis but I’m sure a physician could elaborate and bring you the answers. I’m sorry your you and mom are going through this. Hope you have the happiest new year possible, Mark.

• Jackie Kalina

January 22, 2021 at 2:51 pm

WHEN MY MOM WAS DYING OF LUNG CNCER, HOSPICE ANSWERED THESE QUESTIONS.

• Charlene Marshall

January 24, 2021 at 8:42 am

Hi Jackie,

Thanks so much for sharing, and I’m glad you had a good hospice team for your Mom’s care. Sorry to hear of your loss.

@heatherk6417  do you have a hospice or palliative care team involved with your Mom to help with her needs? They’re often really good at managing these things or advising family on how to help the patient. I agree with Mark, it could be delirium or something related to her meds, maybe? Worth a discussion with either of those teams, or even her physician to have palliative care or hospice set up. Take care and feel free to reach out to us anytime.
      Char.