Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Navigating Society Employment & Pulmonary Fibrosis National Disability Employment Awareness Month

• National Disability Employment Awareness Month

Posted by Charlene Marshall on October 29, 2020 at 10:41 am
    For photo source/credit click HERE.

Many of us have talked about how our employment was halted, questioned or made a lot more difficult following our diagnosis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF). Lugging around an oxygen tank, extreme fatigue and brain fog are not qualities highly sought after in an employee! However, some of the most dedicated, talented and compassionate employees I know are those living with a disability. In fact, I am privileged to work alongside them all at BioNews.

Did you know that October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM)? 

One of the most difficult struggles I’ve faced since my diagnosis of IPF is what to do with my career. I’ve taken some leaves of absences to care for my health, both proactively where I made the decision to take a break but also reactively, whereby I suddenly got sick and had to leave work. However, maintaining a career is not only necessary for my finances at this time, but also my mental health. I am so thankful to be able to still work my full-time career as much as possible, but most importantly: thankful to be employed by BioNews as a columnist for PF News and a co-moderator to these forums. BioNews honours our disabilities and differences and sees them as a strength. I am convinced there is no better company committed to employing those with a disability!

Check out some of the pieces our columnist have written about being employed with a disability:

The Americans with Disabilities Act: Putting the IBD in Invisible Disability

October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM) – PH News

True Story: I Got Fired for Being Sick – CF News

Removing Barriers to Employment for People with Disabilities – MD News 

What is your experience of being employed as someone living with IPF/PF? 

Do you consider your disease a disability? 

Charlene Marshall replied 3 years, 5 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.