Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Fun and General Chat Healthy Recipe Sharing *New* Forum: Healthy Recipe Sharing!

• *New* Forum: Healthy Recipe Sharing!

Posted by Charlene Marshall on July 22, 2018 at 9:20 am

Hello Forum Members!

I am making an intentional effort to be more mindful of what is going into my body these days. While it could be argued that everyone should increase their awareness of this, (since food is fuel for our bodies); it is very important for those of us living with a chronic illness to eat well, including a variety of fruits, veggies, nuts, healthy fats, etc.

In general I’ve always eaten pretty well, and since my diagnosis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) in early 2016, I have been more conscious about what I am eating. Sure, sometimes I “slip up” and eat something high in fat, or calories, and sometimes (more than I’d like to admit) I get a craving for something that I know is unhealthy, like ice-cream. What that happens, I don’t deprive my body of it but I also don’t over-indulge. Healthy eating is all about balance!

The last couple of weeks, I’ve been working on changing my mindset around what goes into my body for a couple of reasons:

• A) it always feels good to lose a few pounds, and while this isn’t my priority with healthy eating right now, it is a bonus.
    • B) I am trying to level out a couple of abnormalities in my bloodwork. This may not work, but it might as I am really focusing on trying to get everything in not only through solid foods, but through fresh juicing and delicious smoothie recipes as well.
    • C) As my lung function declines, I am finding myself lagging in energy and while I know this is normal, I can’t help but wonder if my diet is also contributing to my fatigue.

I believe I am already noticing a difference, although it is only been a few days so it could be my mind playing tricks on me as well. Yesterday I ordered some healthy foods (ie. chia seeds, hemp hearts, organic greens) online as well and am excited for them to arrive so I can start building them into smoothies, etc.

Last night I also made a delicious low-fat, low-carb recipe that I thoroughly enjoyed. While preparing it, I was trying to think of ways to share some recipes in one platform, and hopefully obtain some from others as well. I thought the forums might be the best place to do that! As a result, I’ve created a new forum called Healthy Recipe Sharing and within it, I’ve added some new topics as well: Juicing Recipes, Healthy Smoothies and Healthy Solid Food Recipes.

Please join me in sharing some of your favourite recipes by contributing to these new topics!

Charlene Marshall replied 5 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Zoe james

October 21, 2018 at 4:47 pm

Hi Charlene, Thanks for sharing re recipes. I am trying to make healthy desserts.I have been experimenting with sugar free ice cream.

One over ripe banana

Lime juice

Coconut cream

Mash together with a fork, whisk a little with the fork and freeze. Lovely healthy ice cream !

• Charlene Marshall

October 23, 2018 at 9:21 am

That sounds amazing Zoe! I am going to try that for sure, and I actually have coconut cream (the stuff you’d add to coffee, right?) and lime juice in my fridge right now. I just have to wait for a banana to ripen! 🙂
    Thanks for sharing, I’m excited to try this!!!

Regards,
    Charlene.