Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Treatments and Science Clinical Trials Nobel Prize Winners Hoping to Improve Lung Transplant Outcomes

• Nobel Prize Winners Hoping to Improve Lung Transplant Outcomes

Posted by Mark Koziol on October 15, 2019 at 8:00 pm

I recently received a tweet regarding 3 scientists who won the 2019 Noble Prize in Physiology or Medicine. The goal of their research is to improve lung transplant survival rates by “increasing proteins that play an important part maintaining the health of blood vessels.” According to their research, the “loss of healthy blood vessels is a big contributor to failure of lung transplants.”

Further stated in the research, “scientists have increased the protein levels in animal models of lung transplant and they hope to apply the principles of science used in the animals to use on humans to either slow down or reverse the process of chronic rejection”. As a recipient of single lung transplant I am excited to share this news and hope one day this comes to fruition. What is amazing is the goal of their initial research was not to improve upon lung transplant survival rates.

If this research is successful and a medicine is regulated, would this news have any bearing on your commitment to pursue a lung transplant?

Charlene Marshall replied 4 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Cynthia

October 16, 2019 at 4:07 pm

That IS exciting. Thanks for sharing that.

• Mark Koziol

October 16, 2019 at 4:49 pm

Hello Cynthia, you are welcome and I agree with you wholeheartedly!

• Suzanne R Brennan

October 17, 2019 at 10:09 am

When I read about their work and having received the Nobel prize, I was really hoping it would do something for our community!

• Charlene Marshall

October 17, 2019 at 7:24 pm

I hope so too Suzanne! It does sound promising, here’s hoping this research leads to positive things of our PF community 🙂