• Posted by Charlene Marshall on June 30, 2018 at 6:51 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have been chatting with a wonderful member of our forums who has inspired me to try to do a few more daily tasks while lugging my oxygen around. Usually I bring my portable oxygen concentrator (POC) when I am out, but it is very heavy and I actually have a hard time strapping it onto the trolley vs. over my shoulder because I get quite dizzy bending over to do this. By preference in terms of its weight, my favourite tanks to carry around are my sized D tanks. If I am out for long periods of time I have to bring a few with me, but even that seems easier than dragging my size E tanks or POC around, especially when loading/unloading them into my car.

I currently don’t use my size D tank a lot, and should start doing so on a more regular basis. Thinking of this, I was wondering if any of you would be kind enough to share with me if you use a backpack to be mobile with this tank? This would be my preference, but I’ve been trying to find one for over a year with no avail.

My oxygen supplier says they get a few backpacks for the size D tanks in on occasion, but not many. They won’t reserve or set aside the backpacks so they are on a first come, first served basis and I never go into their store, since they come to my home to refill my tanks. As a result, I’ve never been able to secure an oxygen carry bag that is a backpack through my supplier. I’ve also looked online, mainly through Amazon and haven’t been successful. I did find one that worked for awhile, but it wasn’t secure on my back and flopped around, then the strap broke so it wasn’t worth the money. I’m hoping to find a good backpack to start using my size D oxygen tanks on the regular!

Do any of you use a backpack as the carry bag for your smaller oxygen tanks?

If so, where did you obtain it (if not from your oxygen supplier) and can you send me the link if it is helpful for you?

Thanks in advance!
    Charlene.

Charlene Marshall replied 6 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Russel Fabre

July 3, 2018 at 12:51 pm

I wasn’t able to copy a picture of what I have used into this post, so unfortunate. My wife sewed a nice WSU cover case for my D and E tanks and I used a sport SCUBA tank back-pack. Yes, an Under Water Self Contained Breathing Apparatus sport back pack. I use to SCUBA dive in my younger years, that’s where I came up with the idea. Looks a bit funny but I gave up on looking politically correct a long time ago . It is comfortable and easy to change the tanks when I need to. A standard day hiking back pack worked well too. Don’t by cheap you’ll regret it later.

• Charlene Marshall

July 6, 2018 at 2:52 pm

Hi Russel,

Thank you for getting in touch with me regarding the method and bags you use to carry your supplemental oxygen. Sometimes uploading a picture to this site can be a bit ‘finikey’, as it requires a link for it to be uploaded successfully. If you click on the last “tool” in the bar above the text box (the one where you can make the font bold or italicized”), it looks like a picture and that is what you use to upload the photos. Not sure if you tried this? I know sometimes it can be difficult for me to figure that out as well. If you do get it though, I’d love to see a photo of what works for you!

I’ve actually heard that a scuba tank backpack works for D sized tanks! I ordered one online probably about a year ago and it unfortunately didn’t fit, so I returned it but that was my fault as I ordered it on a whim without really comparing measurements. Maybe I should try this again, as I have also scuba dived in the past and find the backpacks actually quite comfortable and supportive. Glad it is working for you, I think I may need to re-examine this idea 🙂

Thank you!
    Charlene.