Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Oxygen Increase after a fall and being bedridden

• Oxygen Increase after a fall and being bedridden

Posted by chris-soper on January 1, 2021 at 3:08 am

Just to clarify – both my husband and I are called Chris. He has been struggling with increasing breathlessness (‘suspected IPF’) since 2016 and but has coped for the last year or so on 4ltr oxygen on ad hoc/when necessary basis until he broke his hip and was hospitalised. They put him on oxygen 24/7 – whether that was to help with pain management am not sure.  When he was discharged 4 weeks later (bedridden/still with a broken hip) his prescription was 15ltr 24/7 and he sadly passed away 3 weeks later gasping for breath.
    I have lots of questions but… initially…. would being being bedridden/placed on oxygen 24/7 have weakened his lungs/hastened his IPF and led to the increased prescription?  Anyone know?

mark-koziol replied 3 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • mark-koziol

January 1, 2021 at 9:19 am

Hello Chris, I’m sorry about the passing of your husband. It’s possible your husband experienced an exacerbation which caused his ipf to get extremely worse and require more oxygen. During my experience I had contracted RSV and subsequently this caused an exacerbation and my oxygen needs multiplied. Try speaking to his physician and maybe they can give you an answer. I’m not sure if sustaining an injury would require his oxygen needs to increase. Happy new year to you and your family and I hope 2021 is better for you. Mark

• chris-soper

January 5, 2021 at 12:00 pm

Thanks for replying Mark. There is to be a Coroner’s Inquest so maybe that will shed some light.

• mark-koziol

January 5, 2021 at 3:07 pm

Chris, you are welcome.