• Oxymitzer Pendant

Posted by eva on March 28, 2024 at 10:00 am

I recently learned about this (oxygen -conserving)device and would like to get feedback from patients that are familiar with it and find the benefits of the device. The nasal cannula is thicker than a standard cannula and it’s uncomfortable. Any suggestions on how to make it better.

Cynthia Panza replied 3 weeks, 2 days ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Michael Brophy

March 28, 2024 at 2:37 pm

I tried this cannula. Exceptionally cumbersome due to its stiffness. It is thicker hose and has a round chamber. At the end of the 02 supply hose. The other side of the chamber (21/2 inch in diameter & 3/8 of an inch thick). The loop comes out & the nose device is there. Very cumbersome & don’t work well at all.Not user friendly at all!

• Charlene Marshall

March 29, 2024 at 7:11 am

I completely agree with your assessment of this Michael. I also tried it, not enjoyable unfortunately. If others’ have a positive experience, please feel free to share.
      Take care,
      Charlene.

• eva

March 29, 2024 at 8:57 am

Thank you for your feedback,I totally agree with your assessment.

• george-poulsen

March 30, 2024 at 7:07 pm

My doctor originally gave Rx for oxygen bottle and oxygen pendant but at that time the lower L3-4 need for oxy made me decide for a concentrator instead. Now I’m 24/7 at about L5 and know that sooner or later I’ll be heading for oxy again. The pendant I heard about sounded like quite a boost as far as length of time for a bottle of oxy, like 3-5 time leverage and it sounded great. Now I’m wondering whether there might be several different types of the pendants. The discomfort you mention makes me reluctant to go with the pendant you mentioned. Any other models we don’t know about? My alternatives don’t sound real good from this.

George Poulsen

• george-poulsen

March 30, 2024 at 7:18 pm

So, I am seeing info on the internet about a thick nose variety of oxymizer but then also about a round unit that hangs on the chest to do the same conserving thing. Can anyone differentiate whether they have used the “chest” pendant variety of oxygen leveraging unit vs the node variety?

• eva

April 3, 2024 at 8:34 pm

The oxymizer is designed to replace your standard cannula and is to be used with continuous flow oxygen systems. The cannula has thick nasal prongs and a pendant that is connected to the oxygen tubing , the pendant sits on your chest. It helps conserve oxygen by means of a reservoir . Ask your pulmonologist about it.

• Kittykat

April 3, 2024 at 7:33 pm

My husband has had IPF for 11 years and is now working on getting a lung transplant. He recently started using the oxymitzer and even though it is thick and he complains that the tubing sticks to his cheeks, he is feeling better. His oxygen tanks last longer because he can set them to 5 L but is receiving about 8L. His pulmonologist gave it to him to get higher doses of O2 on his portable tanks. He doesn’t use it at home. He uses his concentrator at 10L. I have noticed that when we go out he still gets short of breath with exertion but her recovers much faster with the oxymitzer. Hope this helps.

• eva

April 3, 2024 at 8:22 pm

I’m glad it works for your husband.

My sister and I were diagnosed with familial IPF 13 yrs ago . She uses the oxymizer at home with her concentrator at 4-5L and it works good for her too. She claims that with the oxymizer she can do more and not get so short of breath.

Im still trying to adjust to it. 😀

• Cynthia Panza

April 4, 2024 at 5:14 pm

I have been using the pendant recommended by my pulmonologist about a year. It is difficult to get used to the canula and have not found a way to make it more comfortable other than massaging it. I also hate that it is so noisy and I never use it when I go out and about….which is rarely. I am at 8-10 L when actively moving from chair to stool to chair. I use 5-6 L when sleeping. I wish I could do basic things, cooking, laundry. Walking from 10-20 ft. My levels tank to 50-60-70s all the time.

I must be killing myself here!

<font color=”rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)” face=”inherit”>I surprised myself </font>that<font color=”rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)” face=”inherit”> I could do the 6 min </font><font face=”inherit” style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color: var(–bb-body-text-color);”>Walk </font>test<font face=”inherit” style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color: var(–bb-body-text-color);”> in 4 min. Before </font>level<font face=”inherit” style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color: var(–bb-body-text-color);”> went </font>below<font face=”inherit” style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color: var(–bb-body-text-color);”> 90. </font>

<font face=”inherit” style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color: var(–bb-body-text-color);”>50% lung </font>capacity. I don’t know how good/bad I am!!!!

<font face=”inherit” style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color: var(–bb-body-text-color);”> </font>