• Oxymitzer Pendant

Posted by eva on March 28, 2024 at 10:00 am

I recently learned about this (oxygen -conserving)device and would like to get feedback from patients that are familiar with it and find the benefits of the device. The nasal cannula is thicker than a standard cannula and it’s uncomfortable. Any suggestions on how to make it better.

Karen Martin replied 1 month, 2 weeks ago 7 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Michael Brophy

March 28, 2024 at 2:37 pm

I tried this cannula. Exceptionally cumbersome due to its stiffness. It is thicker hose and has a round chamber. At the end of the 02 supply hose. The other side of the chamber (21/2 inch in diameter & 3/8 of an inch thick). The loop comes out & the nose device is there. Very cumbersome & don’t work well at all.Not user friendly at all!

• Charlene Marshall

March 29, 2024 at 7:11 am

I completely agree with your assessment of this Michael. I also tried it, not enjoyable unfortunately. If others’ have a positive experience, please feel free to share.
      Take care,
      Charlene.

• george-poulsen

June 6, 2024 at 4:32 pm

Here are the two types of pendant vs mustache type oxygen economizers from the internet. The savings of oxygen up to 4:1 seems significant. Anyone have more info on these? Are there others we don’t show here? Looks like the only drawbacks are high cost. Maybe someone is working on a cheaper version. But, I assume as I work my way northward above 7LPM that these bottles may be the only thing I can use and so must get informed. Seems like a 4:1 leverage on a one hour bottle could be major as far as mobility.

Any comments?

The Drive CHAD Oxymizer is a Disposable Oxygen Conserver as part of an Nasal Oxygen Cannula that is available as a Pendant Oxymizer or a Mustache Oxymizer. The Pendant Oxymizer (P-224) can be used with a continuous oxygen flow of up to 15 LPM. This Pendant Oxymizer features a reservoir that can be worn under clothing. The Mustache Oxymizer (O-224) can be used with a continuous oxygen flow of 20 LPM. The Mustache Oxymizer is a Fluidic Oxymizer. Both CHAD Oxymizers provide continuous high-flow oxygen therapy for homecare, hospice, clinic, hospital, or long-term care. The Oxymizers are compatible with oxygen concentrators, compressed oxygen cylinders, and liquid oxygen. CHAD Oxymizers can be used with pursed lip breathing. Manufactured by Drive Medical, CHAD Oxymizers deliver an oxygen conserver ratio of 4:1.

CHAD Oxymizers may be used during exercise, resting, or during sleep. These disposable oxygen conservers offer oxygen therapy patients a comfortable alternative to using an oxygen mask. Oxymizer Conservers can be used while oxygen patients eat, drink, or talk.

Features & Benefits

<ul type=”disc”>

• Nasal Cannula Oxygen Conservers for Oxygen Savings
      • Pendant Oxymizer Features a Reservoir That Can Be Worn Under Clothing
      • Mustache Oxymizer (Fluidic Oxymizer) Features a Reservoir Near Delivery Point
      • Provides a Conserver Ratio of 4:1
      • Disposable
      • Product Specifications

<ul type=”disc”>

• Product Numbers: P-224, O-224
      • Oxygen Flow Capacity
      • Pendant Oxymizer: 15 LPM
      • Mustache Oxymizer (Fluidic Oxymizer): 20 LPM
      • Conserver Savings Ratio: 4:1
  • eva

March 29, 2024 at 8:57 am

Thank you for your feedback,I totally agree with your assessment.

• george-poulsen

March 30, 2024 at 7:07 pm

My doctor originally gave Rx for oxygen bottle and oxygen pendant but at that time the lower L3-4 need for oxy made me decide for a concentrator instead. Now I’m 24/7 at about L5 and know that sooner or later I’ll be heading for oxy again. The pendant I heard about sounded like quite a boost as far as length of time for a bottle of oxy, like 3-5 time leverage and it sounded great. Now I’m wondering whether there might be several different types of the pendants. The discomfort you mention makes me reluctant to go with the pendant you mentioned. Any other models we don’t know about? My alternatives don’t sound real good from this.

George Poulsen

• george-poulsen

March 30, 2024 at 7:18 pm

So, I am seeing info on the internet about a thick nose variety of oxymizer but then also about a round unit that hangs on the chest to do the same conserving thing. Can anyone differentiate whether they have used the “chest” pendant variety of oxygen leveraging unit vs the node variety?

• eva

April 3, 2024 at 8:34 pm

The oxymizer is designed to replace your standard cannula and is to be used with continuous flow oxygen systems. The cannula has thick nasal prongs and a pendant that is connected to the oxygen tubing , the pendant sits on your chest. It helps conserve oxygen by means of a reservoir . Ask your pulmonologist about it.

• george-poulsen

June 6, 2024 at 3:56 pm

Eva, can you clarify a bit on this? The unit that sits on your chest seems to be different than what the others seem talk about (the one that looks like a thick vinyl mustache when worn).

Does yours sit on your chest but then have a more normal cannula that goes around the ears and to the nose?

I have seen two different pictures of what I think of as a round medallion and normal nose cannula versus the one that goes directly to the nose but has that kind of wide thick vinyl mustache. The one that can sit on chest down under shirt somehow sounds like it would then have the more expected cannula to the nose?

Thanks

George

• Kittykat

April 3, 2024 at 7:33 pm

My husband has had IPF for 11 years and is now working on getting a lung transplant. He recently started using the oxymitzer and even though it is thick and he complains that the tubing sticks to his cheeks, he is feeling better. His oxygen tanks last longer because he can set them to 5 L but is receiving about 8L. His pulmonologist gave it to him to get higher doses of O2 on his portable tanks. He doesn’t use it at home. He uses his concentrator at 10L. I have noticed that when we go out he still gets short of breath with exertion but her recovers much faster with the oxymitzer. Hope this helps.

• eva

April 3, 2024 at 8:22 pm

I’m glad it works for your husband.

My sister and I were diagnosed with familial IPF 13 yrs ago . She uses the oxymizer at home with her concentrator at 4-5L and it works good for her too. She claims that with the oxymizer she can do more and not get so short of breath.

Im still trying to adjust to it. 😀

• Cynthia Panza

April 4, 2024 at 5:14 pm

I have been using the pendant recommended by my pulmonologist about a year. It is difficult to get used to the canula and have not found a way to make it more comfortable other than massaging it. I also hate that it is so noisy and I never use it when I go out and about….which is rarely. I am at 8-10 L when actively moving from chair to stool to chair. I use 5-6 L when sleeping. I wish I could do basic things, cooking, laundry. Walking from 10-20 ft. My levels tank to 50-60-70s all the time.

I must be killing myself here!

<font color=”rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)” face=”inherit”>I surprised myself </font>that<font color=”rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)” face=”inherit”> I could do the 6 min </font><font face=”inherit” style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color: var(–bb-body-text-color);”>Walk </font>test<font face=”inherit” style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color: var(–bb-body-text-color);”> in 4 min. Before </font>level<font face=”inherit” style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color: var(–bb-body-text-color);”> went </font>below<font face=”inherit” style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color: var(–bb-body-text-color);”> 90. </font>

<font face=”inherit” style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color: var(–bb-body-text-color);”>50% lung </font>capacity. I don’t know how good/bad I am!!!!

<font face=”inherit” style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color: var(–bb-body-text-color);”> </font>

• Karen Martin

June 12, 2024 at 9:00 am

I’ve never been told anything about an optimizer. I have IPF, emphysema and PAH. I use 15lpm with exertion which now means just about everything other than sitting. Even with pursed-lip breathing my SATs drop quickly into the 70s. My doctor’s office is looking into something called Life2000. Looks like a poc but has different levels of O2 depending on what you need. I realize that this is not what you are discussing but has anyone heard about this? Thanks for letting me drop this into the discussion.