Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Paying attention to AQI during wildfire season

• Paying attention to AQI during wildfire season

Posted by Charlene Marshall on June 25, 2023 at 10:15 am

I don’t live on either of the Canadian coasts where they regularly experience wildfires, which I’m grateful for as someone who lives with lung disease. Since my diagnosis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF), my lungs are very sensitive to smoke. Oftentimes when I inhale secondhand smoke, it leads to a 911 call because I can’t breathe. As you can imagine, inhaling wildfire smoke would likely cause similar difficulties with my breathing.

Recently, Canada endured terrible wildfires, including several in the province where I live and the air quality was very poor. Some days, the air quality index (AQI) was at 10/11, making it hard to breathe even inside. While the AQI is much improved now, I still feel some effects including wheezing, itchy throat and eyes. Going forward, I’ll pay closer attention to the AQI during wildfire season and even randomly throughout the year.

Do you have wildfires where you live?

If so, how do you manage a lung disease when the AQI is high?

Sarah Mccoy-Husler replied 10 months, 1 week ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Sarah Mccoy-Husler

June 27, 2023 at 10:44 pm

Today I stayed insid and tomorrow I will as well. I live in Champaign Ill and the haze of smoke coming from the north is horrible!

I’ve been coughing just taking my puppy out to potty.

• Terri

June 28, 2023 at 12:58 pm

I live in Iowa, where we don’t have wildfires but have been very much affected by Canada’s wildfires. The Iowa Dept. of Natural Resources issued an Air Quality Alert for all of Iowa, and particularly Eastern Iowa, this morning advising people to stay inside. It is very hazy here, and the AQI is bordering on the “very unhealthy” category. I’ve been staying inside and only letting my dog have very short visits outside. Animals can also be impacted by the smoke.