Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Christie Patient

A recent column on our sister site Pulmonary Hypertension News discusses one mom’s journey to understand her son’s feelings about photos. Colleen Steele’s son Cullen was diagnosed with PH as a child and had a heart-and-lung transplant as a young teen. Cullen hates to look at photos of himself from when he was sick. As a parent to a child with a terminal illness, Colleen was very good at documenting Cullen’s young life in photographs. She was hyper-aware of the value of photos of her son, in case he did not receive his lifesaving transplant.

Self-image is something a lot of chronically ill people struggle with. Whether it’s due to changes in appearance because of illness, medication side effects, or visual reminders like a canula or surgery scars, living with a rare disease can make it hard to feel at home in our bodies.

How do you feel when you see photos of yourself with PF? Do you struggle with self-love, and acceptance as your body changes? How do you treat yourself kindly when critical thoughts creep in?

Wendy Dirks
      Participant

Hi, Christie –

One of the consequences of my illness has been putting on a tremendous amount of weight as my ability to move decreased. I grew up in a culture that despises fat people and I had to spend a lot of time learning to love and accept myself as a fat woman after being thin and fit all my adult life. I discovered Heath at Every Size and did a Body Love course with Ragen Chastain, a fat activist and blogger. These steps allowed me to accept a nasal cannula with ease. It’s just a part of my face now! I have had people on social media make fun of it when they didn’t like something I said (usually about science). I can’t imagine anything more ridiculous than trying to win a losing argument by resorting to personal insults, but that’s the nature of social media. I don’t mind seeing myself in photos at all and in fact, during my recent hospital stays I posted pictures of me with various types of masks as my oxygen needs decreased.

Jeff Taylor-Jackson
      Participant

Hi Wendy,

Reading your post reminds me of the Mel Brooks film Blazing Saddles. “These are simple farm folk, you know……..morons.”

That what I think of when there are people who resort to personal insults when they are losing an argument.

I am of the opinion (rightly or wrongly) that I have not go that long to go, so I dont really care what I say, (as long as its not a personal insult) to anyone. If they dont like the way I look, dress or the football team I support, it’s their problem not mine.

We all have bigger problems to deal with than care what other people think about our appearance!

In answer to the question though, I too have put some timber on since diagnosis. Not too much, but certainly noticeable in recent photo’s. But its who I am now and what I am dealing with at this moment in time that those photos represent, whether I like it or not!

Best wishes

Jeff

Christie Patient

@wendy-dirks and @cleavergreene I’m happy to see you both celebrating the bodies you’re in right now and accepting your weight fluctuations and other changes. That’s really encouraging! I agree that insults about other people’s appearance are a pretty ridiculous and low form of comeback. Especially if the insult is directed at a medical device like a canula… I mean, how insensitive! Ugh!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2022 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account