Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Using Our Forums Portable Oxygen for Paddling

• Portable Oxygen for Paddling

Posted by glenn-fredericks on July 29, 2022 at 9:59 am

Our family has been active in watersports for decades. I still like to paddleboard, but 3+ years into IPF, run out of breath pretty fast (about a half mile) and have to come in for oxygen. I’m needing a VERY portable oxygen supply with cannula that will last 40 minutes or so and be ok if it gets wet (falling in is inevitable). The supplier of my concentrators has tanks but they’re too big. Any ideas? There must be small units in the sporting world (climbers, etc.). Would appreciate any advice on sources, thanks!

judy-fraser replied 1 year, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Charlene Marshall

July 30, 2022 at 8:47 am

@gefski

Hi Glenn:

I was very intrigued by your post as I am an avid watersports fan as well. I enjoy kayaking and paddleboarding, though I run out of breath while trying to keep my balance standing on the paddleboard; its just as fun sitting down or kneeling. I take my oxygen with me on both devices! I use a D-sized cannister (the new term for it, may actually be M3, I can’t remember) and put it in a backpack that I got on Amazon. The nice thing is, the cannisters float and it doesn’t matter if they get wet, unlike the concentrators. The appropriateness of this 02 of course depends on how much 02 you’re needing. I am time-limited with using the cannister, which is one thing I don’t like, but its better than not being able to go at all. Can your doctor or NP help you find the best 02 source for being able to do this? My team is thrilled I am keeping up with this because its good exercise, so they’re always happy to help me find solutions to make it work.
    Goodluck!
    Char.

• judy-fraser

August 2, 2022 at 2:28 pm

Following.

I go kayaking with my portable concentrator and fingers crossed. So far, no spills.

I should probably get tanks, which I have been avoiding so far.

I’ll be happy to find some other solution, as I’d hate to have to give up kayaking (or buy a replacement concentrator).

Judy

• glenn-fredericks

August 3, 2022 at 2:25 pm

Thanks to those that responded. Charlene, I’ll search for an M3 or D and see what I find. My supplier showed me an M6, too large, and wasn’t interested in exploring units they didn’t stock.