Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Positive Impacts of a Rare Diagnosis

• Positive Impacts of a Rare Diagnosis

Posted by christie on June 16, 2022 at 3:00 am

In this column on Cystic Fibrosis News Today, Lara Govendo shares the ways that her genetic disease has positively shaped her life. Though she was born with her disease and grew up with it shaping her worldview, and her sense of self, I think many of us can relate to some of the ways that Lara is grateful for her rare disease. For example, she states that living with cystic fibrosis has deepened her connection with God and her faith. I know many of our forum users find comfort in their faith, and living with pulmonary fibrosis might strengthen that aspect of our lives.

She also talks about learning to be flexible, to be creative, and enjoy her own company in times of isolation. She harnessed her trauma and turned it into a well of empathy for others, directing her life to a path in counseling. She is also grateful to have been able to enjoy time off in her twenties–though forced by her illness–to connect with her elders and her family, rather than dedicate her attention to her career like many other young people. 

Lara is now four years post-double lung transplant and is thriving, but it’s nice to see her reflect on the ways that the challenges of her rare disease have shaped her into the person she is today.

What gifts have you received from your illness? What can you be grateful for that you wouldn’t have had without this diagnosis? How much has your PF shaped your character since diagnosis? Let’s keep the conversation rolling in the comments 🙂

Even though IPF was not mine, I have also talked about the gifts I received from the experience of caring for my mom. Read more here.

christie replied 1 year, 9 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.