Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities Canadians With PF Public Statistics on Ontario Organ Donation

• Public Statistics on Ontario Organ Donation

Posted by Charlene Marshall on April 15, 2018 at 9:04 am

Hello to my fellow Canadians,

While I am confident that other organ donation networks or professional affiliations would also have this information readily available, I just came across a particularly interesting site for those in Ontario who are interested in organ donation statistics.

Did you know that the Trillium Gift of Life Network (TGLN) posts public stats about the number of transplants that have been conducted to date, the waiting list and general statistics about organ donation in Ontario? This information is all quantitative data of course, and no identifying-information is given but nonetheless I found it interesting to look at the stats on their website. A few of the things that struck me most were:

1. How many females are currently waiting on the Ontario lung transplant list as opposed to males.

2. The striking number of both males and females waiting on a kidney transplant (>600)

3. The number of people over 70 years of age (98) who are waiting for an organ. This is a huge reflection on the success of science, medicine and organ transplantation, since several years ago, people who were over 60 were not eligible for any type of organ transplant.

Do any of these things surprise you as well?

For those interested in some light reading, I’d encourage you to connect with your professional organ donation/gift of life networks and take a look at their public statistics. I am glad I came across this tool, as it can be used in my efforts to increase awareness about the importance of organ donation.

More information for organ donation specifically in Ontario, Canada can be found here: https://www.giftoflife.on.ca/en/publicreporting.htm

Warm regards,
    Charlene.

Charlene Marshall replied 6 years ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.