Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Navigating Society Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness & Advocacy Recognizing the Flu is Important as a Patient with PF.

• Recognizing the Flu is Important as a Patient with PF.

Posted by Charlene Marshall on November 5, 2018 at 8:03 am

Originally sourced from: healthfeed.uofuhealth.org 

Now that cold and flu season is officially upon us, it is important for everyone to recognize early symptoms of the flu vs. a common cold. This is especially true for those of us living with a chronic illness, like idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF).

As a young adult, I had never been fearful of the flu because whenever I got sick as a child I’d bounce back within a couple of days to a week. However, since my own IPF diagnosis in early 2016, I have become pretty terrified of catching the flu, or even the common cold if I am honest. This is because I’ve seen the detrimental effects and sudden impact it can have on someone who is immunosuppressed like I am. Unfortunately, just this past summer I experienced the loss of a friend who fell ill with the flu, she then caught pneumonia and died suddenly from septic shock. Even those who are relatively healthy can quickly succumb to the flu. Therefore, it’s important to recognize symptoms of the flu and do whatever your body needs to help fight it off.

There are many similar charts like the one above from credible sources on the internet about recognizing flu vs. common cold symptoms. These can be found through a quick Google search, however, I thought it might be helpful to post something here as well.

I’m not one to preach to others about their healthcare decisions, however, I personally believe in the importance of getting the flu shot and I know many other immune-compromised patients agree with me. Therefore, I’m not going to tell others they need to get it however, it is something important to consider and discuss with your doctor. This is especially true if you’re a patient with IPF/PF or a caregiver to someone living with this disease.

Do you get your annual flu (and/or pneumonia) shots each year?  Why or why not? 

For those who do fall ill with a flu or cold symptoms, do you have any helpful remedies that you’re willing to share that help get you feeling well again? 

Charlene Marshall replied 5 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Smokey

November 6, 2018 at 12:17 pm

Thank you Charlene!  Great subject as this will be my first flu season since being diagnosed. I’m watching!!

• Charlene Marshall

November 6, 2018 at 9:06 pm

Hi Smokey,

Thanks for writing, and I am glad you’ve found this topic helpful. I’ve also saved it in my phone for quick reference if I start to feel unwell… I am a bit paranoid, but that is because I know how quick we can get sick with IPF/PF. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you that this flu season doesn’t cause you any trouble! Glad you’ll be watching out for early signs and symptoms 🙂

Stay healthy,
    Charlene.