Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: 50+ Sleeping more than being awake!

Tagged: ,

• Sleeping more than being awake!

Posted by Wendy Dirks on November 11, 2019 at 3:48 pm

Hello, everyone –

I’m feeling a bit concerned because lately I seem to be sleeping more than I’m awake. I typically wake up in the late morning, am up and trying to be active for several hours but by late afternoon I am so tired that I get back in bed, sleep for three or four – or even five – hours, wake up, eat, and then I’m ready to go back to sleep again. Today I didn’t even get dressed. The other day I got up from my afternoon nap, ate dinner and went back to sleep again until noon the following day – something like 16 hours of sleep out of 24. I have a hospital appointment in about a week with the consultant and I’ll raise it then, but the last time I slept this much was when I was seriously ill with an infection and the time before that, when I had multiple pulmonary emboli in both lungs. Any insights would be appreciated. I have to admit, I’m finding this a bit scary. When I’m awake, I feel okay-ish; I have had a lot of coughing fits lately as well. Is this just the normal progression of the disease? I have hypersensitivity pneumonitis.

Thanks!

Wendy

Mark Koziol replied 4 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Mark Koziol

November 11, 2019 at 4:10 pm

Hello Wendy, I would say that you know your body better than anyone. I did go through periods that you have described. Every day seems to be different.  Notify your physician as soon as you can if you feel there is something going on. Sometimes our body needs a break and sleep is it’s way of telling us. As a post- transplant patient I still go through these and am currently going through one right now. I have been diagnosed with rhinovirus which is basically a cold but for us, it can fester into something more serious. I have been very active lately even with the virus and I think this may have something to do with it. Take care, Mark.

• Terri Marsh

November 12, 2019 at 10:55 am

@wendy-dirks

Hi Wendy  I was sleeping a lot when I was first diagnosed with IPF. I just assumed it was from the stress and anxiety.  My pulmonologist suggested an overnight sleep study to check for sleep apnea. Sure enough , I have sleep apnea. I was put on a CPAP. It’s a little hard to get comfortable with at first but the difference was noticeable right away. Take care,Terri