Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Slipping Rib Syndrome

• Slipping Rib Syndrome

Posted by gweneeth on June 2, 2021 at 5:15 pm

was in the ER last Sat with terrible pain in my right side. It’s been on and off for a month. All the tests were good. The doc said he thought it was Slipping Rib Syndrome but he had no idea how to fix it. I’ve read on the web that if anti inflammatory meds don’t help then surgery to remove the cartilage from the 12th floating rib is possible and corrects the problem. I’d like to know if anyone else has had this problem and how was it corrected?

It’s caused when the lungs become enlarged and press the ribs down. The bottom rib rubs on the top of the hip bone and causes inflammation.

jillgerber4gmail-com replied 2 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • carol-brusseau

June 3, 2021 at 3:18 pm

i have pain on and off under my breasts, very painful. mostly on the right side, but during a walk can move from side to side.  do not know what is going on. was diagnosed with pf in 2019. been on oxygen since 2013.  do not know to much about slipping rib syndrome.

• jillgerber4gmail-com

June 3, 2021 at 5:16 pm

Hi! I am a practitioner of manual medicine…. Rolfing (R) Structural Integration, massage, have studied with  a manual osteopath for ten years and have many other manual therapy certifications…. Before having such a radical surgery, please please find a good manual therapy practitioner, ideally a Structural Integrator or manual osteopath. Sometimes a chiropractor  or a Myofascial therapist is good with ribs, but not always. Surgery is a great last resort but often a horrible early choice. I work on my husband every week to help him keep his lungs and ribs moving happily. This kind of skillful manual therapy, by helping to increase both gross and subtle movements, allows our bodies to find easier positions (such as moving a 12th rib off the hip bone). This can create less pain and more ease.
    This is a subject very dear to my heart.. please let me know if what I’m saying makes sense and if  you have any questions.

• gweneeth

June 3, 2021 at 8:37 pm

I understand some of what you said. I know someone that might have some of those credentials

Pulmonary doc says I won’t survive thoracic surgery and I don’t want that anyway. My regular doc wants me to see a spine man who specializes in steroid injections but I’ve had those before and they don’t work on me. I had spinal fusion from C2-T1 and L2-S1. Combination of arthritis and genetic defects. I also have mild scholiosis in the thoracic region. I’m in year 5 of IPF and losing function more rapidly. I was going on Hospice but had a surge of energy so postponed but this pain is setting me back. I just want someone to identify it and then we can talk about options. I found another sore spot further along the edge of the right rib, along the back for what’s that worth.  I’m also allergic to all pain meds except Dilaudid which I save for ‘I’m going to kill myself’ pain ?

your husband is so fortunate to have you.  Thank you for your input.

• gweneeth

June 5, 2021 at 12:51 pm

To Jill, I talked to my friend and she doesn’t do the type massage you refer to but she’s going to reach out to her community and see what turns up. She wanted to know if you know any names in the Asheville, NC area that I could call. Thank you for your help.

• jillgerber4gmail-com

June 5, 2021 at 9:16 pm

Please, anyone, let me know if you have any questions about how bodywork can help improve the quality of your life as you cope with PF. It’s a subject dear yo my heart.