Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities Caregivers and Spouses Stress Relief Tips for Caregivers

• Stress Relief Tips for Caregivers

Posted by Charlene Marshall on April 18, 2020 at 5:42 pm

Many of the topics discussed on this forum pertain to those of us living with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF). I am very grateful to have this platform of patients to turn to and discuss things pertaining to my disease. Perhaps I am bias, but I don’t believe there are many other uniquely supportive platforms out there as these forums. However, I’d like to turn the focus to our brave, heroic and selfless caregivers for this post.

How many of you rely on a caregiver to help you navigate this cruel lung disease? Many of us do, and many of us know how much harder life would be without them. Since I fell ill in November 2019, I’ve relied on a lot of others to help with my recovery. As often as I say thank you, and no matter how much I share how grateful I am for all they do for me; I can’t imagine how hard this role is, and it never feels like enough. I often wonder how my caregivers are managing their own mental health and self-care needs.

I came across an article on the importance of stress relief for caregivers, and how they can care for themselves from “head-to-toe”. The article shares tips on how to utilize stress relief strategies in particular areas of the body where tension is found. Please find the article HERE.

Do any of these stress relief techniques benefit you as a caregivers?

Do you have any to add to the list that you find particularly helpful?

Charlene Marshall replied 4 years ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Suzanne R Brennan

April 21, 2020 at 10:08 am

I am so very lucky that my husband is an excellent caregiver. Not only is he helping by receiving all deliveries and doing a lot of the cleaning, he helps me mentally so much! He also set up a six minute walk test in our condo building underground garage so that I could complete one that was scheduled for last week. I sent the results to my doctor yesterday!

Since I am on Esbriet, I need to have regular blood draws to check liver enzyme levels so he found an at-home testing company, sent away for a test kit which I used this morning, so that I didn’t have to go to a lab here.

For my part, I do some of the cleaning – such as the kitchen and bathrooms and can dust with  a mask on. But my main contribution is figuring out healthy and tasty meals, even if some of them are a bit unorthodox. I am trying to cram in as many veggies as possible into our favorite recipes! We also both continue to work out at home as we have a few free weights, some bands, a TRX strap and a recumbent bike. I do that with O2 and he does it as well.

I couldn’t do all this without him and I know that I am privileged in that way.

• Charlene Marshall

April 25, 2020 at 2:05 pm

Hi Suzanne,

Thank you so much for writing and sharing your thoughts on this very important topic. I echo many of the sentiments you’ve made as well regarding the caregivers in my life! I don’t know what I’d do without them. I am also so thrilled to hear how supportive your husband has been, not just physically but mentally for you as well. This is so important! He also sounds very resourceful, an outstanding guy all around by the sounds of things.  Thank you for sharing — I’m really glad you have one another. Stay safe!
    Charlene.