Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: 50+ Tips to Combat the Effects of the Cold Dry Winter Air

• Tips to Combat the Effects of the Cold Dry Winter Air

Posted by Mark Koziol on December 1, 2020 at 12:00 pm

For most of us living in seasonal areas of the world, winter months bring us misery. Winter months also bring us dry cold air, which can cause respiratory problems for those of us living with lung conditions, and even for those who are healthy. I recently read an article from Cleveland Clinic Health Essentials series. The publication is titled; “How dry winter air can cause respiratory problems- from bronchitis to nosebleeds: Tips for protecting yourself from illnesses”. Asthma, bronchitis, sinusitis, and nosebleeds are common problems the dry winter months can cause.

Since there is very little moisture in the winter air, most of us notice we may have dry scaly skin to contend with. As quoted in the article, “the dry air also contributes to dehydration since body fluids are depleted during respiration”. Dr. Daniel Allan writes, “your sinuses will dry out because there is no moisture in the dry winter air”. He also states, “The mucus that normally should be gooey and thick and can trap infection gets drier. So you’re more likely to get a cold because your mucus is not as able to catch things that you breathe in.” Using a humidifier is suggested to combat the dry air in your home caused by the furnace, used to heat your home. The publication contains several other tips to combat our cold dry air of the winter months.

Have you noticed how the cold dry air has affected you?

Have you taken any steps to remedy the situation and avoid having an illness possibility related to cold dry air?

Mark Koziol replied 4 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Nan

January 16, 2020 at 7:52 pm

Thanks for this Mark, interesting. I just got a new humidifier, hope it helps me. So far it has not been to cold and dry this year, but it is coming!

• Jane McBride

January 21, 2020 at 7:32 pm

Thanks for this subject, Mark. I am facing a very cold winter here in Illinois and would like some info on how to best handle my Inogen 3.  The hose and canula get very stiff as well. Wrapping the tubing up under scarves etc. helps but was hoping someone might have a suggestion as to acquiring tubing that doesn’t  get hard and doesn’t start pulling away from your face etc. the minute the really cold air hits. Getting in and out of the car etc. for church, library or shopping has become a production. I know this sounds like whining but I am trying to eliminate as many frustrations as possible and get on with life with IPF as naturally as I can. PS A good room humidifier helps even if the furnace has one already when you get zero and below wind chills.

• Mark Koziol

January 21, 2020 at 8:02 pm

Hello Jane, when I was on oxygen I had the larger E tanks because my o2 requirements were 6-8 lpm on exertion. I always grabbed the super soft cannulas when I had appointments at the Cleveland Clinic. They were very comfortable and didn’t harden up quickly. However, the hose tubing would harden. It wouldn’t be for long as my truck would always be started and warm. I wish there was tubing that wouldn’t harden up. Take care, mark