• How to Travel With Pulmonary Fibrosis If You’re on Oxygen

Posted by Marta Ribeiro on November 14, 2018 at 1:11 pm

Traveling with pulmonary fibrosis (PF) can be very challenging if you require oxygen. You need to be sure you have enough oxygen for your journey, plus extra in case of any hold-ups or unforeseen circumstances.  Usually, traveling short distances doesn’t really pose many problems but long distance car travel or traveling by other means such as planes and trains present their own issues.

Our resident columnist, KimFredrickson, talks about the pros and cons of oxygen therapy and the difficulties pulmonary fibrosis patients like her have when it comes to traveling with oxygen.  The sheer amount of equipment Kim needs to carry around with her if she wants to take a trip is staggering, and she is grateful for the help she receives from her husband when it comes to packing and unpacking it all in the car. Read more of Kim’s column here. 

Do you enjoy travelling? What challenges have you had to overcome since you were diagnosed with PF? Share your experience and tips below!

Charlene Marshall replied 5 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Steve Dragoo

November 15, 2018 at 11:17 am

Hi Marta,

Thanks for starting this. I was fitted for oxygen today and will travel overseas in a few months.

SteveD

• Charlene Marshall

November 15, 2018 at 3:14 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply to Marta’s post – it is certainly a popular topic and one of interest to many of us living with IPF!  Just wanted to chime in for a moment too and offer for you to connect with me at any time regarding travelling with supplemental oxygen. I’ve been on both domestic and international flights with my oxygen and really haven’t run into any trouble. Happy to chat with you a bit in advance of your travels if it will help! 🙂

Take care,
      Charlene.

• Steve Dragoo

November 15, 2018 at 4:03 pm

Hi Charlene,

Thank you for your kind offer.  I know if we lived in proximity we would be friends.

I am getting 2 liter M6 portable I believe.  They will call me to discuss soon. and in home unit – now I’m really starting to feel old…

SteveD

• Charlene Marshall

November 16, 2018 at 8:59 am

Hi Steve,

I loved your comment – you’re totally right, I think we would be friends if we lived in close proximity. It would be nice if we all could get together to actually  meet in person someday, wouldn’t it? Its such a cool community on these forums!

Don’t feel old, it is hard to adjust to at first (my biggest difficulty was not wanting people to stare at me in public but now I am over that, it did take some time however) but it does help overall. My sats stay higher overall and I feel a bit less fatigued when I have the option to use my oxygen. Do you know if you will need it 24/7 yet or just during sleeping and/or exertion? Keep me posted on which device you get, I have the Respironics SimplyGo and don’t have any complaints with it so far 🙂

Take care,
    Charlene.

• Steve Dragoo

November 16, 2018 at 10:20 am

Hi Charlene,

Definitely wait until June or July to meet up there where you are but I will return to the Philippines in March if I can.

At the doctor yesterday was the first test that O2 dropped to 87.  I am in PT and get my heart rate higher than at the doctor and my O2 there only once dipped below 90 briefly.  So use when needed daytime and all night hooked to CPAP (that I start tonight – get home O2 unit next week) as I have light apnea unless on my back – then worse.

Best to you,

SteveD

• Charlene Marshall

November 16, 2018 at 10:46 am

Hi Steve,

Yes, you don’t want to be anywhere near where I am right now if you don’t like the cold. We got so much snow last night, everything is covered in a thick layer of white! It is pretty to look at, from being inside and warm but for those of us who have to work or run errands, it really is a pain to deal with. I hope you get to return to the Phillippines in March too, that will be so wonderful for you!

Fingers crossed the oxygen helps you feel a bit better. It really helped with my anxiety that was surrounding my shortness of breath, I’m glad to know that I am always still getting oxygen even though it doesnt feel like it. Let us know how you make out eventually with the home oxygen and CPAP. Will be thinking of you!

Charlene.