Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: 50+ Trying to Win the Battle Against Allergy Season

• Trying to Win the Battle Against Allergy Season

Posted by Mark Koziol on June 30, 2020 at 6:00 pm

If you are like me, you dread allergy season. This year allergy season in the Midwest seems to be fiercer than in past years. I have had a single lung transplant and technically still have IPF in my native lung. I liken this allergy season to a boxing match that I am currently losing and hope I can make it to the final round and win the decision. Every day it seems I get hit with a jab only to be followed up by an uppercut leaving me a little dazed. I will keep fighting through this adversity.

I have not altered my lifestyle and I spend as much time outside as I can. At times I do have slight difficulty breathing but I have been assured my allergies will not affect my transplant or overall health. It is more of an inconvenience to me. I am hoping the “very high” pollen counts will subside soon. I read a publication titled, “Why Are My Allergies So Bad This Season?” Dr. David Lang M.D. gives a detailed answer to why the allergies are worse this year. The article is concise and answers the question of the title.

A Seasonal Allergy Survival Guide” is another article I read that would be helpful for forum members suffering from allergies. I did not develop allergies until I was forty years old and have tried various allergy pills. I have been skin tested and I am allergic to over 35 different grasses and trees. If I didn’t have a transplant I most likely would have gone through the anti-viral protocol to help my body gain immunity from the allergens.

I would like to hear from our forum members how you are coping with allergy season.

Mark Koziol replied 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Rob

July 12, 2020 at 12:40 pm

Agreed my nasal congestion is especially bad this year.  Spraying up my nose with full stream saline spray(I use Hydrasense) helps me a lot.

• Mark Koziol

July 12, 2020 at 2:22 pm

Hi Rob, thanks for sharing. I agree this year is awful. I use Flonase most days. It doesn’t knock it out but does alleviate most symptoms. Take care, Mark.

• Charles Dean

September 10, 2020 at 3:45 pm

I am 75 and was diagnosed  with IPF  just under a year ago and have had allergy problems for as long as I can remember. My nose runs like a faucet or totally plugged up. I have been using a mist nasal spray that helps and just recently started using a ” Neti-Pot ” and seems to help.

• Mark Koziol

September 10, 2020 at 7:58 pm

Hello Charles, I have post nasal drip and sometimes it’s worse than other days. I take claritan daily. This seems to help but I still do have some issues with this. Matter of fact it happened today. Ask your physician if there is a possibility you may have the dreaded post nasal drip. Maybe a script of a medicine could help or an over the counter medicine recommended. If my nose is plugged I take prescription Flonase. This does help with loosening things up. Take care, mark.