• An Unusual Response From the Pharmacist

Posted by Charlene Marshall on June 8, 2018 at 9:51 am

Some of you have read that I am terrified that I am developing some kind of lung or chest infection. Yesterday I did see my pulmonologist and he did not like the sound of my lungs. As a result, he ordered several tests to establish a baseline of where I am now, compared to previous baseline tests that I’ve done. I also was ordered to start a new puffer, and change the dose of one of my other corticosteroid puffers.

I thought this was a bit unusual, plus I was a little frustrated simply because I just filled one of my corticosteroid puffers earlier this week, so it was brand new but was told I needed a new one that was double the dosage. From a financial perspective this didn’t feel very cost effective, but since I needed to fill the new Spiriva anyways I thought I’d get the increased dosage puffer filled.

Since I had just been at the pharmacy on Monday of this week, the Pharmacist was surprised to see me back. I explained that I’d just been at the doctor and had an updated prescription. I now have 4 inhalers on file there, and when I handed her my new prescription she looked at me strangely and said, “are you sure you need all these”?

I was a bit taken aback but kindly I replied with the fact that no, I wasn’t sure but I was confident in my doctor being sure since he was the one prescribing them to me. I tried to be understanding in my response and simply answer her question, however, I couldn’t help but feel a little bit judged.

When filling medications, have you ever felt as though others were judging or “pill shaming” you? How do you deal with it, or do you just let it go?

replied 5 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.