Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge VA Disability from IPF

Tagged: 

• VA Disability from IPF

Posted by alan-park on December 6, 2022 at 5:59 am

Has anyone been in the Air Force and stationed at the 46th ADMS Bomarc Missile site in New Jersey? I was stationed there for a year from late 1964 and developed IPF years later. In 1960 there was an accident where one of the silos containing a Bomarc missile caught fire causing a plutonium leak. I was denied a disability from the VA and I am currently appealing that decision.
    My question is has anyone received a VA disability from exposure to the plutonium leak?

Harry Harrington replied 1 year, 3 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • mike-mses

December 6, 2022 at 8:05 pm

Alan — I tried to have the VA cover my pulmonary fibrosis two years ago.  I even filed an appeal and included pictures.  Still denied.  I am checking now because of the PACT Act.  It covers this but only for Middle East Veterans.  My Legion contact is filing a supplemental claim to my original claim.  Next step will be to call the White House VA Hot line and let them look into this.

The VA recognizes that burn pits cause IPF and I have no idea why they are not including Vietnam Veterans.  I also added in my claim the trash burn pits at base camp, the human waste burning, napalm use and even extensive firefights where a cloud of bad stuff forms afterward.

I was lucky enough to receive a lung 20 months ago, but this condition will still cut my life short in the not topo distant future.  I wish you all the luck in your quest to have the VA cover your IPF.  Mike M

• ron-l

December 6, 2022 at 10:22 pm

I served at Ft Bragg from 1977-81 (82nd Airborne , 505th Parachute Infantry) . I’m not trying to draw any similarities here (especially with Vietnam and service there ). But I also was a Firefighter and a Paramedic for 32 years . 1982-2014. What were my exposures in that time period ? (smoke , insulation from structures during fires, etc.  )  Firefighting foam, training /deployment in the military ? My current physical condition is by far, less critical, than many of you on this site, but , “I HAVE  IPF”. I don’t know where to go from here ? It seems to me there is a lot of “questionable ” areas here ? I feel fortunate for my current situation. I could be worse than what I have read from many of you. I’m able to walk 2 miles daily , 3-4 days a week, weather permitting… (I’m 64). I’m not on oxygen yet.  As an X  Paramedic I’m trying to delay that, but it is most likely inevitable.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 8, 2022 at 4:48 pm

I completed 4 Iraq/Afghan, in Iraq, Al Asad, my unit NAVY, was exposed time and time again to a huge burn pit, and very frequent sand storms. I see my V.A. pulmonologist tomorrow. I have been reading about the V.A. and our condition, according to them, you have to prove that the Pulmonary Fibrosis was directly caused by the burn pit or sand storms, to me it seems almost impossible to do that. If I can not prove it, then they will NOT cover my treatment at all, very upsetting. Our Doctor back then even put letters in all our records because she was with us. I feel like I’m going to the company doctor at a coal mine right now. The V.A. is holding a seminar on Saturday about the PACT act, my wife and I will go to that. I have been trying since 2014 to get on the burn pit registry, always hitting a brick wall. I’m sorry. My only hope is that the High Def CT scan I get the results from tomorrow identifies what caused the extensive scaring, otherwise, the door will hit me on the way out. I did read that only 2500 military personnel have ever been approved as being service connected.

• Harry Harrington

December 11, 2022 at 11:16 am

After reading some posts I am wondering do drs give drugs to calm this down.

I’m a vv with exposure to agent orange. Mine started with prostate cancer that spread to my lungs. A year later,2012, I had pf.

I moved to CO in 2019. New lung Dr. Told me in 2021 they could do no more for me. I don’t even know what they did beside run tests. I’ve never been given any drugs for this and Dr now just does video conference. Beginning to think I was deceived. Don’t think VA really cares. For those of you trying for treatment I wish you good luck. I’m not sure what treatment they offer. Good Luck!

• alan-park

December 8, 2022 at 8:29 pm

My heart go out to all of you and I hope the PACT Act includes you. My case is much different, it does not involve burn pits. Instead it involves exposure to plutonium from a leakage caused by a fire in a Bomarc missile silo at the 46th ADMS near McGuire AFB. Yes, it is difficult, if not impossible, to prove my pulmonary fibrosis was caused by that exposure. Exposure can cause pulmonary fibrosis immediately or it could take years to develop (my situation). Hopefully there are other veterans out there who was stationed at the 46th ADMS who has pulmonary fibrosis and was awarded a disability, I’d like to hear from them.

• samuel-kirton

December 12, 2022 at 8:47 am

Alan,

I would look at the PACT Act again. Originally intended to cover those exposed to burn pits it has expanded to cover Agent Orange in Vietnam and includes a section on other toxic substances. Try this link to the VA page on PACT Act coverage.  Sam …