• Vaping & Pulmonary Injuries

Posted by Charlene Marshall on September 18, 2019 at 11:21 am
    Photograph: © David Paul Morris

Despite its known health risks, especially to the respiratory system, many people still choose to smoke cigarettes. While I understand it is a habit that is hard to break, and that some people only smoke socially; I struggle to understand how someone can knowingly participate in this activity when there are so many health risks associated with it. That said, I’ve never smoked so I can’t speak to how difficult it might be to quit. As long as the habit doesn’t effect me (ie. breathing in secondhand smoke) I try not to pass judgement, but it is hard when I know how difficult living with a chronic lung condition is, and I see others taking their ability to breathe for granted.

Unfortunately, there is a new habit that is also detrimental to the health of our lungs which has become quite trendy in the last little while. It is often assumed that vaping is a healthier choice than smoking, but still gives those addicted to nicotine the fix they need. Recently, MSN released an article about the 7th person who has died from vaping as a result of pulmonary injury.

As someone living with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF), a life-threatening lung disease, this scares me as I’d never wish a lung disease upon even my worst enemy. Learning to live with reduced lung function is something no one can understand unless they experience it themselves, and no one needs or wants that.

It seems as though the long-term effects (or in some cases, even acute impact) of vaping is just starting to hit the literature, so please spread the dangers of this habit far and wide. If you know anyone who vapes, please encourage them to stop and share your story about living with IPF/PF. Sadly, the misconception that this is better than smoking is out there and its seemingly untrue.

Have you heard of any research yet directly linked to vaping and IPF/PF development?

What are your thoughts on this habit? 

Charlene Marshall replied 4 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Patty Arthur

September 24, 2019 at 2:40 am

Hi Charlene,

I don’t know much about vaping except I have a son who has taken up the habit in an attempt to stop smoking. He’s convinced it is not as bad as smoking and he says “it’s a step”. He tells me the stuff he vapes does not contain THC or nicotine.  I’ve voiced my concern and have suggested he look into stop smoking classes to help with breaking the smoking habit.  I must admit, it really, really scares me and I’ve shared articles about the risk of vaping with him. Apart from that I don’t think there is much else I can do …. except pray.

Thanks for the ear.

• Charlene Marshall

September 24, 2019 at 12:44 pm

Hi Patty,

Thanks for writing regarding this important topic, vaping is such a phenomenon and big problem here among  our youth and I wish they knew the importance of having healthy lungs! I worry too as we truly don’t know the long term effects of this new habit, as it is just that – too new. It looks like it is being linked to a lot of acute pulmonary injuries, potentially causing harm long-term as well. I hope your son can quit the habit all together, but I know it is so much easier said than done. Sending him prayers as well, that his lungs remain healthy for many years to come. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
      Charlene.

• Janette MacDonald

September 24, 2019 at 8:14 am

As a smoker I know the damage I am doing to my lungs.  I have tried every method used to try to quit.  The coughing is terrible as I’m sure you know.  I’m using vaping as an aid to quitting. While my doctors admit to not knowing much about vaping they have both said that they would rather see me with an e-cigarette than a real cigarette.  Vaping has helped to stop my coughing.

Janette MacDonald

• Charlene Marshall

September 24, 2019 at 12:46 pm

Hi Janette,

Really interesting to hear this perspective from physicians – that they’d rather see you with an e-cigarette than a real one. I think everyone is just starting to learn the effects of vaping, and many seem acute; I only hope that there aren’t too many negative long-term effects that impact people who choose this habit. I know it is so much easier said than done to quit, good for you for trying and hopefully this will aid you in quitting as you hope. Goodluck 🙂
    Charlene.