Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Bionews Content Flash Briefings & Podcasts Viral Infections Raise Risk of IPF But Not of Disease Worsening

• Viral Infections Raise Risk of IPF But Not of Disease Worsening

Posted by Pulmonary Fibrosis News Moderator on January 20, 2020 at 11:33 am

Pulmonary Fibrosis News Columnist and Forum Moderator Charlene Marshall summarizes a 2019 meta-analysis study, investigating the relationship between viral infections and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF). 

It is not uncommon for patients living with IPF to socially isolate themselves from others who are sick during cold and flu season. This can be due to the immense fear that comes from catching a viral or bacterial infection with already-compromised lungs.

While this meta-analysis study reveals that viral infections do not necessarily cause a worsening, or exacerbation of the disease itself; the symptoms of a viral infection can be very difficult on a patient living with IPF. What precautions do you take to try and avoid getting sick during cold and flu season?

We’d love to hear from you in the comment section below. 

John Mark replied 4 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • janice sutton

January 21, 2020 at 8:08 pm

To avoid getting sick, I always wear a mask when I go out, especially when I am going to be in a crowd. Water and soap are best for washing hands, but when going out it is very important to have an antibacterial with us.   I take Vitamins D3, C, and B-Complex, plus I take a Magnesium (Glyconate) supplement and Ubiquinol.  I have asked family and friends to alert me when they are sick or have a cold, so that I will know when not to visit. This was also a tactful way to let them know that I also do not need visitors who are sick. J

• Charlene Marshall

January 23, 2020 at 6:37 pm

Hi Janice,

Thanks so much for listening to this flash briefing and sharing your thoughts on a very important topic. I also am wearing a mask when out in public, especially right now amidst cold and flu season, and that new virus from China which will be all over the US before long I am sure. I hope your friends and family have been receptive to not coming by when you’re sick? This is very important and kudos to you for speaking up. Thanks for sharing your efforts to avoid illness.
    Charlene.

• John Mark

January 26, 2020 at 8:01 pm

@jmsutt

Janice, I pretty much do everything you do except recently my little woman made me ask my customers if they had been sick. It was awkward but it paid off, he had been sick and was still on medication! Also last year my little woman started getting a soar throat and cough, I immediately went to our lake cabin but it was too late. It was the flu, I barely survived. That was in late April of last year, my brother informed me that he read an article that you need to take the flu shot again in 3months during season. That after 3 months scientists have found your antibody titer tests to be extremely low against the flu. I talk to my pulmonologist he said that they used to take flu shot twice all the time then the FDA said it wasn’t necessary. I was in ER last week and ask the head nurse about it she said sure she did every year like it was normal thing. We’ll I must be living in cave, cause before my brother told I had never heard that? But both my brother and I had flu shot early in sept and got the flu in April. So I’m all in for two shots especially now that all my docs insist on seeing them  during flu season. Normally, I will schedule no visits during flu season and if it’s still going strong late I kick them out further.But now ipf causing something with heart I can’t mess according appointments.