Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Weight Gain/Loss & PFT

• Weight Gain/Loss & PFT

Posted by Christie Patient on April 14, 2022 at 9:41 am

I often see posts in the forums about changing Pulmonary Function Test (PFT) scores. If you need a quick lesson on PFTs, here’s one of many videos explaining how PFTs work, and what the results mean.

When I see someone posting their worsening, or improving PFT scores, I often wonder what else has changed in their health status… Is the change related solely to their PF/IPF progression? Or is there more at play? Acute exacerbations, viral or bacterial infections, colds, rejection (if post-transplant) and more can affect PFT scores from day to day. Another factor is weight gain and loss. Several of my post-transplant contacts have reported decreasing PFT scores as their weight has increased due to prednisone treatment. For those who have lost the extra weight, they have also noticed an improvement in PFT scores. The correlation seems to suggest that these two things are related, but I am curious to know if anyone else in the forums has noticed similar changes.

Have you had fluctuations in PFT scores that correlate with fluctuations in weight? Let us know in comments!

Christie Patient replied 2 years ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.