Tagged: 

• Catherine Leonard

January 3, 2023 at 2:27 pm

Cautionary note on zinc.
    If you have an autoimmune disorder/ disease (I do.) and zinc strengthens the immune system, it can work against you. This is my understanding based years ago when it was all the rage to take zinc supplements when coming down with a cold.
    *I suspected then that I had an immune disorder- now it’s official, and my IPF treatment is to have Rituximab infusions every six months for the purpose of depressing my immune response.
    At any rate go cautiously with zinc!
    *(Hypersensitive pneumonitis/IPF)

• Kim Morrison

January 3, 2023 at 2:33 pm

I am three yrs post IPF diagnosis. I take ofev, vitamins D,E,A,C. I started taking Zinc and Selinium. I read a study from The University of Alabama using Chabolic Acid made into Haritaki from a tree in India. ( India says haritaki is a natural miracle drug) The study was done on mice that were given ?? to cause PF. The study concluded that the PF scaring was reversed. The haritaki basically reversed the PF. I did research of this and started taking it a year ago. Since then my cough has significantly improved. I have almost no short of breath. My cousin was also diagnosed and has a friend that works in the lab at the University and her friend told her to definitely take haritaki. I’m NOT promoting haritaki nor advising anyone to begin taking it. I’m just letting you all know my own personal experience. I have my next CT scan in February so I’ll see if there’s been any improvement. Talk to your Dr. and do the research before you start taking it.

• J L LaBrack

January 3, 2023 at 3:17 pm

Kim–
      Thank you for the ray of hope! Really glad to hear that this is working for you! I’m 79+, male and 5 yrs. into IPF. Have been taking 30 mg. zinc picolinate daily for 6+ months based on a Cedars Sinai study posted on this site. Still have a 95-96% resting sat. rate with no Esbriet nor Ofev, and no oxygen. As many here have said: “What do I/we have to lose?” Questions about chabolic acid and haritaki: Where do you find it? What form and dosage is recommended? Is there a link to the University of Alabama study? I have a pulmonologist app’t. Feb. 16th and plan to run the zinc and your discovery by him. He seems much more interested in asthma, emphysema, COPD, etc. than in IPF, but is only one available in my area. You’ve really given me something to look forward to!! Hope to hear soon../JL

• DJ

January 13, 2023 at 8:30 am

Kim, how do you know that it’s not the ovef that has made you better? Thank you for sharing this information.

• Kim Morrison

January 3, 2023 at 6:30 pm

JL I will try to find the link I actually first saw the article on the PF Foundation website I get haritaki from Amazon I get the CoNA Nature brand 2250 mg per serving in the 120 count capsules

• Charles

July 6, 2023 at 2:32 pm

As far as Zinc goes, there were a lot of articles and comments about it on this site about a year ago. So i ask my Pulmonogist about it and she had not heard anything about it. So i ask my GP whether she thought that there could be any thing harmful if i tried it. She said that she felt that i should be ok taking it. So i tried 25mg daily for a year and felt no difference as far as improvement goes. So i just recently stopped taking it. Hope that this gives you a little incite on using it. Charles

• bradley

July 6, 2023 at 3:22 pm

Almost a year ago I started 50mg Zinc Picolinate daily. Along with my daily vitamin my zinc intake is a little above recommended max dosage. I don’t think it has done much for my fibrosis but I avoided a nasty virus that went through our household. I am 3 1/2 years into this ipf <u>without</u> meds.

Mark Anderson

• Charles

July 13, 2023 at 3:37 pm

Hi you all, Chuck here 07/13 23. To J L La Brack, I have concluded that there is NOT a pulmonologist that gives a s++t about we who have IPF. Like you have said, they are more interested in COPD, EMPHYSEMA, ASTHMA AND CANCER and could care less about us with IPF. I have gone through three pulmonologist in the last 2 years and am now looking for another one. There is more knowledge shared and known on this site than any pulmonologist that i am aware of. That said, i will try Zinc with Piculiate. Can’t hurt. I did use Zinc alone for a year and saw no help.

To Mike Ktori, try AYR GEL for your dry nose. It helps me. Just put a little on a Q Tip and swab around.

Page 3 of 3