Tagged: 

• Zinc in the Role of Lung Fibrosis

Posted by Charlene Marshall on June 19, 2022 at 2:40 pm
    Photo credit 

I appreciate the members of this forum for a magnitude of reasons. One is being able to connect with everyone about what its truly like to live with this terrible lung condition, and another is because members are so willing to share their findings on things like: clinical trials, supplements to help manage symptoms and research that is being conducted for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF).

Recently, a member shared an article on Zinc and how it’s been found to play an important role in lung fibrosis. I wanted to share it as a post so those of you who might not have come across it yet can read it. Described as a common mineral in this article, it’s encouraging to hear that zinc may reverse lung damage and improve survival with IPF, according to investigators at Cedars-Sinai.

Have you ever discussed the use of Zinc with your doctor regarding IPF? 

Do you currently take Zinc supplements, and if so, are you noticing any difference in how you’re feeling? 

This is a lead I’m curious to follow and hope more information is released regarding this!

kathy-reich replied 6 months, 3 weeks ago 50 Members · 111 Replies
  • 111 Replies
  • christie

June 19, 2022 at 5:57 pm

Fascinating! I know zinc is good for your immune system but this is the first I have heard of it in relation to lung health, fibrosis, etc. Definitely going to keep an eye on this as I am interested in the relationship of auto-immune coniditions and IPF.

• Charlene Marshall

June 22, 2022 at 6:00 am

I agree @christie-patient… this article was super interesting to read, not something I’d heard of before, even though I knew of many of the other benefits.
      Char.

• elainewedral

August 5, 2023 at 12:26 pm

Char I very much appreciated your remarks on zinc. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find the article.

i’m 79 diagnosed with IPF a year ago when I had my left lower lung removed from cancer.I’m on 3.3-4.0 oxygen and two 100 mg of OFEV per day. I would appreciate helping me find the technical info on Zinc and IPF. Thank you so muc for caring and sharing

• j-l-labrack

July 7, 2022 at 2:26 pm

This is great information.  I wasn’t able to locate a local source for the form I wanted but ordered online and have started taking it!  After a bit of research, it appears that not all zinc forms are equal.  Zinc picolinate is the form that is reported to be the most completely metabolized.  Hence, I’m taking one 15 mg. capsule daily.  Too soon to detect any effects but will keep hoping.  It’s also important to note that overdosing can have negative effects.  For those who participate in the Inspire website, don’t bother to even suggest trying this!  There is a self-appointed “expert” (web name “idiothe”) who wrote a lengthy diatribe attacking me for even suggesting any possible treatment other than Ofev or Esbriet and was labeled a “huckster” for bring it up.  Really sad when the mission is to communicate experiences and share information and to support one another with this horrible affliction. I’m 78 and on my 5th year since diagnosis with IPF.  No supplemental oxygen yet, but my body is sending me signals that it won’t be much longer…  Thank you so much for passing this along!

• sharoneliz

July 10, 2022 at 1:17 am

After reading about zinc & PF, I asked my acupuncturist about it.  He did some research & recommended Natura 25 mg Food-Grown zinc, plus TRU Niagin Pro 500, which supports mitochondrial health.  He has Master degrees in acupuncture & Chinese herbal medicine, but does not disparage Western medicine.

I had started to go to him for back pain & fatigue.  He has helped with both.  My shortness of breath upon exertion has also improved since I told him about PF, but that could also be due to  the pulmonologist prescribed Symbicort 80/4.5 with an extruder.  I have noticed that I sleep better, although I was never diagnosed with sleep apnea.

I was diagnosed with mild stable IPF in the last 6 mos.  I won’t know if any of this has helped until I am tested again.  The problem was first spotted when I had a Medicare CT scan because I had been a heavy smoker.  A follow-up CT scan indicated possible PF.  A high resolution scan confirmed it.  I’m not eager to subject my body to more radiation, so it may be a year or so before I can report any test results.

• j-l-labrack

September 6, 2022 at 2:36 pm

Not long after I posted this, I increased my intake to 2 capsules of zinc picolinate per day–one right after breakfast and the other right after dinner.  My resting sat. rate remains at 95-96%, but a flight of stairs drops it down to @88% if I rush.  This is pretty much where I was before starting the zinc, but I just ordered another 180 capsules (90 days’ worth) with a lot of hope!

• jane-mason

July 12, 2022 at 4:31 pm

I’m new to this forum but I’ve been reading the articles for almost a year  now. Lots of good info.  I was diagnosed with IPF in March 2020 altho I had it in 2016 but was missed by a doctor who I no longer see.  When my blood oxygen dropped to 88 I was put on 2 liters O2.  Also use continuous O2 on CPAP.  Began OFEV 200 mg 3 X a day I’m March 2020.  Numbers kept dropping.  Wasn’t working. So I switched to OFEV 150mg. My lung function tests leveled out and it seemed to be working. To slow the progression.  However. The side effects were to a point where nothing would stop the digestive problem.  So, my Dr. switched me to Esbriet in April this year .  I take 3 caps of 267 mg. each 3 X daily.  I get instant heart burn with every dose. But no digestive issues at all. Had a really bad rash at first that continued for a couple weeks maybe 3 but seems to have subsided.  So far, no other problems.  The real teller will be when I have my next lung function test which is scheduled for Dec this year. I take 50mg Zinc daily but I’m not sure it’s helping. My doctor says definitely try it cause it couldn’t hurt.  I struggle at times with the finality of my situation but I do my best to keep busy. I write in my journal or try to at least once a day. Not too many are comfortable with dying so I try to stay upbeat for their sake. It’s tough tho.

• Charlene Marshall

July 16, 2022 at 6:30 am

Hi Jane,

Thanks for contributing your thoughts and experiences to this thread; lots of information shared here about Zinc. I’m glad to hear your doctor encouraged you to try it, as their seems to be mixed physician thoughts on its use. Also glad to hear you’re tolerating Esbriet – I know the gastrointestinal issues can be really bad from Ofev. Take good care and keep in touch. Glad you’ve been reading the posts and hope they are helpful for you!
        Char.

• junebeauty610

December 29, 2022 at 3:27 pm

I used to take Zinc many years go before I was diagnose with PAH. Now I have a reason to get back to taking zinc.

Any resource or advice to give on how to maintain a good oxygen level when walking. My oxygen drops when up moving around and m on oxygen. Awaiting your replies.

• arthur

December 30, 2022 at 10:56 am

PLEASE SEND ME THE ARTICLE ON THE STUDY BY CEDAR SINAI ON ZINC

• Lee

July 7, 2023 at 9:35 am

Exercise more. Walk more. Develop your leg and trunk muscles. These large muscles require much oxygen and the stronger they are the more efficiently they utilize oxygen. Over two years I have gradually increase exercise every day and while I couldn’t walk twenty steps on 6 liters of oxygen without massive desaturation, when I began exercising it changed that. Now I can walk 4 miles a day without supplemental oxygen. I still desaturate slightly but my heart rate remains low and I can enjoy walking without breathlessness.

• Lee

July 7, 2023 at 9:52 am
      • sam123

July 12, 2023 at 9:29 am

Hi Lee, Your story is very inspiring and giving hope to many patients with IPF. I would like to take exercise tips from you as I am dealing 25 % lung capacity. Would you mind sharing your contact number and having a quick chat.

Looking forward to talking to you.

Thanks

Sam

• don-moffett

August 24, 2023 at 4:53 pm

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/newsroom/zinc-found-to-play-an-important-role-in-lung-fibrosis/

i have 11 mg in my multivitamin I am adding a 15mg 2x a day

• chris-lynch

July 6, 2023 at 11:16 am

Zinc by itself is not effective. You also need the transporters. Read the Mt Sinai report for more information.

• kathy-reich

August 24, 2023 at 3:47 pm

I agree with Chris Lynch: The study clearly states that people with IPF have a faulty transport system for taking zinc into their cells. The problem is NOT a deficiency of zinc in the body. Nowhere does the study suggest that zinc supplements would affect IPF.

• Lee

July 7, 2023 at 9:52 am

I have been using the zinc protocol recommended by Dr. Noble at Sinai. That’s the combination of zinc, picolinate, NAD , and resveratrol . I have had an advanced stage of pulmonary fibrosis for three years that, through exercise, breath and lung pulmonary rehabilitation training, and nutrition I have been able to remain stable and have actually improved my lung function.  I started the zinc protocol four months ago. My lung function has continued to improve, I am stronger in my daily exercise, and I feel that I breathe easier. Despite pulmonary fibrosis I live an active good life, and zinc seems to be helping continue to improve.

• sach

August 23, 2023 at 3:51 pm

Hi Lee, what are the dosages you are taking. I looked into Dr Noble but couldn’t see amounts. Ty!

• kim-morrison

July 13, 2023 at 3:21 pm

I’m taking zinc vitamin D & A, and haritaki
      I have been stable for a year and noticed less cough and SOB since I’ve started taking these along with Ofev.

• john-styles

June 21, 2022 at 7:24 am

Time to dust off my bottle of zinc. good article.

• allan-byron

June 21, 2022 at 4:34 pm

i will try to use the supplement, if it help it’s great. At this juncture bee are open to new therapies. What do we have to loss?

Allan Byron

• donilo252525yahoo-com

June 21, 2022 at 9:10 am

Link to the article?

• Jeff Taylor-Jackson

June 21, 2022 at 9:22 am

I am going to take it straight away.

I can also use it to stop my garden gate from rusting! 🙂

Really interesting article and seriously; we need some good or encouraging news.

Jeff in England.

• Tim Costar

June 21, 2022 at 1:03 pm

Given the reputation of Cedars Sinai, authors of the report, I started taking zinc the moment I read the article a couple of weeks ago. My thinking was, it couldn’t do any harm so why not!

• chukegee

June 21, 2022 at 2:34 pm

ZINC huh! Very interesting. Has anyone talked to a doctor about it? I, like Tim, will start immediately. Does anyone know how much is too much as far as dosage is concerned? Charles “Chuck”

• Charlene Marshall

June 30, 2022 at 8:25 pm

I am also curious about this Charles, and would love to hear from anyone who has spoken with their physician about zinc.
      Char.

• john-k-grubb

June 21, 2022 at 2:47 pm

Very interesting.  This article offers some hope if one takes zinc.  So I will go and get some zinc this afternoon.

Another one to follow is the antibiotic Ambatrol (this is the trade name, not the generic).  Some researchers have found in mice taking the generic of Ambatrol results in a reversal of IPF.  This is an antibiotic  that is used to treat diarrhea and I think next time I see the doctor I will ask for a prescription.  It almost certainly would not hurt me and may help

• phil-ryan

June 28, 2022 at 8:02 pm

I sent a message asking about it to my pulmonary physician severaladays ago and have yet to hear back from her? Frustrating…

• debra-lowder

June 29, 2022 at 10:18 am

When I had COVID last fall, my pulmonary doctor told me to take zinc. I didn’t know why, but I started taking it and I haven’t stopped. I’m holding my own and feel pretty good for this being my third year living with IPF. Not sure if it’s due to zinc, but it sure hasn’t hurt any.  Debra Lowder

• Millie

June 29, 2022 at 1:20 pm

How many mg are you taking?

• christie

June 30, 2022 at 7:38 pm

Hi Debra, your doctor recommended zinc when you had COVID because it is known to help the immune system and shorten the length of cold symptoms. It’s generally accepted with the likes of Vitamin C as a supplement for cold and flu season. Considering COVID comes from a coronavirus and has similar symptoms to other respiratory illnesses (and because COVID-specific treatments are seriously lacking), your doctor did the right thing by advising it when you were sick. And from the research regarding zinc and IPF shared in this forum, seems like a good move that you have stayed on it for the last year too 🙂

• Millie

June 21, 2022 at 4:13 pm

I have been taking 30mg of zinc on a daily basis. I have no idea if that dose is too high or too low. I recall reading somewhere that too much zinc can cause other problems and the 30mg was recommended. Does anyone know what the proper safe dose is? The article doesn’t mention that.

• debra-lowder

June 30, 2022 at 8:41 am

50 MG. Per day.

• pauline-korol

July 7, 2022 at 3:46 pm

Debra, I have also have started taking zinc.  I’m currently taking 50mg a day and hoping that in the long run, it will help.  At this stage, I fear I have nothing to lose except hope.

• j-l-labrack

July 7, 2022 at 4:02 pm

Pauline–

Please double check your daily dosage.  50 mg./day has been widely stated as too much, especially for a woman.  Under 30 mg. should be max from what I’ve read.

• pauline-korol

September 6, 2022 at 1:56 pm

Thanks.  I will check it out. This is the only strength they had on the shelf at Supertore Pharmacy.

• judy-fraser

June 21, 2022 at 4:36 pm

I have been taking 30 mg of zinc for about a year. A doctor (not my lung doctor) advised me to take it to help my immune system So it’s on my list of medications that my lung doc sees, but he’s never commented on it.

No idea if there’s any connection, but my recent CT scan showed no change from a year ago, which I regard as good news.

BTW I was diagnosed in early 2019 and am not taking any anti-fibrotics.

Judy

• fay

June 21, 2022 at 5:14 pm

Interesting! In March 2021 I had an exacerbation of PF and time in hospital. With Covid still around I decided on some supplements to build up my immune system. One of these was powdered Zinc 40mg with Vit C – directions were up to 3 months and label warnings for long term use so I hadn’t taken it over our Australian summer.

My last 2 lung function tests in March and June 2022 were stable with an increase of lung volume. I had also been doing some lung volume breathing.

Nothing scientific here but perhaps time to do another dose as it is the Australian winter. I am a PF survivor (so far) diagnosed in 2015.

• marilyn-cellucci

July 7, 2022 at 2:16 pm

What is lung volume breathing, please?

Marilyn

• gil

June 22, 2022 at 12:30 am

Thank you for the informative article,  I will add a zinc supplement.

Does anyone know if it is better to take it in liquid or pill form?

• Kevin collier

June 22, 2022 at 6:00 am

It is best to take your zinc with 4-5ounces of Tonic water the quinine in the tonic water helps the cells absorb the “large”zinc molecules.

• raymond-petit

June 24, 2022 at 5:15 pm

I never took a liquid form only a daily tablet

• j-l-labrack

July 12, 2022 at 3:11 pm

gill–

From what I’ve read, not all forms of zinc are equal.  Capsule seems to be preferred over liquid and the form most completely metabolized is zinc picolinate.  The optimal dosage seems to 30 mg./day for men and somewhat less for women. Also overdosing should be avoided according to most sites, as it has negative effects.  I’m getting the impression that many (if not most) pulmonologists concentrate on COPD, emphysema, asthma, cancer, etc. and really don’t know a lot about pulmonary fibrosis.  In broad terms, every medical school in the world has someone every year who graduates last; and somewhere out there is a medical school which is rated last…  Bottom line, we’ve really got to be our own advocates.

• steve-dragoo

June 22, 2022 at 4:40 am

I started taking it again after this article butttt –

Zinc is great when used properly not so when it is not.  For example, don’t use a nasal spray and definitely pay attention to the maximum dosage of less than 40 mg daily for men; less for women.  There are certain contraindications with other drugs too so please do your research.   I hope zinc helps and adding it again to the arsenal of supplements: serrapeptase, nattokinase, D3 and K2, alpha-lipoic acid, metformin, NAC B-complex berberine Omeprozoale, etc…

Stay well…
    Steve

• judy-fraser

June 22, 2022 at 10:18 am

Steve,

Could you provide references/links for this info? I can’t find it.

Thanks,

Judy

• steve-dragoo

June 22, 2022 at 2:21 pm

Which info, Judy?

• judy-fraser

June 22, 2022 at 2:25 pm

Nasal spray, contraindications with other drugs, max dosages.

• steve-dragoo

June 22, 2022 at 11:51 pm

Look up zinc side effects and contraindications also search for side effects on zinc nasal spray. Good luck

• raymond-petit

June 24, 2022 at 9:57 pm

I’ve been taken 50 MG daily for several years no side effects so far

• christie

June 30, 2022 at 7:31 pm

Definitely an important reminder to do our homework. Thanks Steve. You are always a good source for supplement information and it’s clear you do your reading before experimenting with OTC options. Thanks for sharing these points and helping others to think critically about supplements 🙂

• raymond-petit

June 22, 2022 at 5:54 am

Yes I believe in Zinc I’ve had IPF for over 10 years I’m 85 now my pulmonary doctor took me off Ofev Three years ago and every year my X-ray shows no more fibrosis growing no Oxygen my Ox level is 94 up to 98 I’m a big believer in Zinc

• steve-dragoo

June 23, 2022 at 11:28 pm

Hi Richard,

What dosage are you taking daily?

Thanks…
      Steve

• douglas

December 30, 2022 at 7:00 pm

Thanks for your testimony. Please, which type of Zinc do you use?

• j-l-labrack

September 6, 2022 at 2:53 pm

Raymond,

Your story is a real inspiration!  I’m a 79-year-old male and got my bad news in May 2018, so now in my 5th year.  Started taking zinc a couple months ago (15 mg. in a.m. and again in p.m.) with no decline so far.  I’ve refused Esbriet and Ofev because of huge $ and awful side effects.  The fact that you were taken off Ofev 3 years ago is a strong suggestion that zinc may have made the difference.  Does your pulmonologist agree that that may be the case?  Mine is clueless…

/J

• Charlene Marshall

June 22, 2022 at 6:03 am

Thank you all for sharing your personal experience with Zinc, along with your opinions on the article… I found it very interesting as well! Similar to Chuck, I’m curious if anyone has brought this up with their doctor and obtained any feedback? It’s a credible article from a reputable site so hopefully a physician out there will read/listen to it. If you get any feedback from your doctor, please let us know.
    Take care,
    Char.

• Jeff Taylor-Jackson

June 22, 2022 at 10:47 am

Hi Charlene,

I regularly bring articles of interesting research up with both my consultants, and with the Clinical team at the APF Charity (UK).

Generally the response is “dont believe everything you read on the internet”.

I get that, but I also get frustrated at the lack of interest in another line of research, if they are not following  that particular path. If I ask about the research they are doing, I get very enthusiastic responses.

So I guess what I am sying is if they are interested in Zinc, it will go further, if not you are blown off.

That said, I will definitely be bringing this up. I also went down to the chemists today and bought two bottles of Zinc and I have taken the first pill straight away.

Why not?

Regards

Jeff

• kitty

June 23, 2022 at 3:57 pm

Hello Everyone,

The recommended daily intake for zinc is 8 mg for women and 11 mg for men. The “tolerable upper limit” is 40 mg daily. These are provided by the Institute of Medicine for many nutrients. The recommended daily intakes are the levels needed to avoid overt disease while the upper limit is sometimes an educated guess .  Higher quantities are known to cause harm. For excellent and reliable information about nutrients you can go to the Linus Pauling Micronutrient Institute at Oregon State University. If I weren’t technically challenged I would provide the link but…..! Hoping this is useful.

• steve-dragoo

June 23, 2022 at 11:25 pm

Thanks Kitty – I saw the same info but add that that dosage is for generally healthy people. As a 73 year old male with other compromising factors, I am taking 40 mg daily but about an hour after other supplements.

Stay well…
      Steve

• Millie

June 24, 2022 at 10:19 am

I’ve been looking at zinc/copper supplements.  What I’ve seen is 30mg of zinc combined with 2mg of copper and 50mg of zinc combined with 2mg of copper.   They say that zinc depletes copper so the combo is better.  Then I read somewhere that you are not supposed to take the two supplements together.  I’m confused.   Can someone straighten me out on this?

• chukegee

June 24, 2022 at 7:03 pm

Millie, you think that you are confused, read all of the above articles and you will find no two are alike. However, as Kitty has said, my GP doctor has also said that 11 mg is about correct for us men because of the possible side effects. So i not only questioned her, i also told her that most everyone on this site is taking 30/40 mg per day. So i asked her if the side effects are major or just something like an itch, calcium deposits or an ingrown toe nail. When she got back to me, she did say that there WERE NOT major problems. So she said to try the 30/40 mg and see if anything new starts growing on me. 🙂 So this morning i went to the local pharmacy and all they had was 50 mg. (I live in a very small town) So i bought them and took my first tablet this morning. The way i figure it was, that the worse thing that could happen is that i die. So what’s new!!! I am on my 9th year with this thing and have been taking OFEV for the last four years and now needing oxygen a lot more that a year ago. I am getting worse, but it is slower than the general articles say when i should croak. So that’s good, i think! Now this is what is so very interesting to me, is that i have heard nothing from any of you that your Pulmonologest has said about this subject, zinc. Me included. I do have an appointment with mine on Friday the 30 th of June and i intend to ask her all about ZINC. Report will follow. Oh no! i think that there is something new on my forehead. Oh wait. it’s just a fly. Good night. Charles “Chuck” Gerson

• Millie

June 25, 2022 at 7:53 am

Hi Charles—-I love your sense of humor.  Never lose it.  So, I’m waiting to hear back from you as to what you find out.  What is your take on the zinc/copper combo pill?

• chukegee

June 28, 2022 at 2:35 pm

Hi Millie and the gang. First let me correct something. I said Friday the 30th in my past onslaught of words. I meant Thursday the 30th. That said, i started taking the 50 mg of zinc and it has been 5 days now. So far i don’t feel any different. Possibly a little more thirsty, but that is the only change that i have noticed. Again, it’s only been 5 days. However, i do not see any unusual growths anywhere either, so that’s a plus. I see my pulmonologest Thursday, so it will be interesting to see what she says. I also see my GP the following week for my normal check up and of course i will ask her about the zinc, as well as she is the one who said that there should not be any major side affects. As far as zinc/copper goes, i have not heard anything about that combination. Nenner, neener, neener it’s someone else’s turn to talk. Charles “Chuck” Gerson

• Millie

June 28, 2022 at 2:50 pm

My pulmonologist tells me that he doesn’t know anything about supplements.  I don’t see my GP for months and don’t know if she would know either.  Good luck and be sure to let us know what they say.

• Jeff Taylor-Jackson

June 28, 2022 at 4:39 pm

Hi all,

I mentioned this to my support group. One of our members actually wrote about Zinc and it’s properties  as part of her PhD thesis and was very excited about it when I mentioned the article.

The chair also said that the research was “Very encouraging”.

I said that I had rushed out and bought a bottle of Zinc from the Chemist and I am now taking a 15mg pill every day.

The chair did add that really the Zinc need to go to the right place, so I guess he means the lungs, but with the caveat that – it cant do any harm right?

There is an article published here in the UK about this research that I am trying to get hold of. I am not clinical so if it’s too medically technical I could ask if some one could dumb it down a bit so we may have a chance of understnading it.

I will post again if I get the article.

Stay well everyone!

Jeff

• phil-ryan

June 30, 2022 at 5:35 pm

I checked with my pulmonologist and she advised me not to start taking zinc supplements.

• Charlene Marshall

June 30, 2022 at 8:24 pm

Oh interesting @philipryan… I am also curious as to why she advised against it? Did she give you any insights into that?
      Char.

• Tim Costar

June 30, 2022 at 5:37 pm

Did she say why?

• phil-ryan

July 11, 2022 at 10:28 pm

To tell the truth, I don’t remember her reasoning.  I will send here another post

, asking why.

• mona-klein

July 2, 2022 at 10:12 pm

Why should we not take zinc I’m interested in knowing why? I started taking 30 mg per day.

• chukegee

July 5, 2022 at 2:22 pm

Hi you all, Chuck here. As i had told you, i was to see my pulmonologist on June 30th. She was not that familiar with Zinc, so i gave her all of the information that i have read here on this site by ya’ll and what my GP had to say as well. She said that she will look into it and get back to me ASAP. You know, the usual runaround. :-} I see my GP tomorrow and will talk about it as well with her. As i have said, i am taking 50 mg of Zinc daily and do not see any change so far after 12 days. I to an interested why Phil Ryan’s Pulmonoloigist said not to take Zinc. I do have a magnet in my house and when i walk past it, it seems to start buzzing a little bit. Hmmmm!!!!
    Chuck, over and out.

• Millie

July 6, 2022 at 10:47 am

Well, Chuck, be sure to let us know what your GP decides about zinc.  I don’t think there would be a noticable difference in only 12 days.  Sometimes things are changing inside of our bodies that we are not aware of.   Let’s keep up our hope for that positive change.

• pauline-korol

July 7, 2022 at 3:58 pm

Debra, I have also have started taking zinc.  I’m currently taking 50mg a day and hoping that in the long run, it will help.  At this stage, I fear I have nothing to lose except hope.  Someone from my support group told me that she was advised to take Zink before her lung transplant and told to stop after the transplant.  She wasn’t sure why.

Page 1 of 3