Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums BioNews Content Flash Briefings & Podcasts A Grant Will Help Researchers Study Mining Dusts’ Role In Lung Fibrosis

• martin-denny

September 13, 2019 at 7:11 pm

I was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis about 18 months ago and wondered why I got this disease.  Looking back on my life I can see a number of factors that would have driven my body into this situation.  First pneumonia when young, a smoker until 30 – both obvious factors, but I also spent much of my life living in inland Australia and experiencing constant dust and sand storms, another factor.  But the one that I have recently recalled was a period when I worked on coal mines, not under ground, but on the surface of active mines where I would be surrounded by haul trucks throwing up thick clouds of coal dust.  In my case it seems to be four strikes and your out – pneumonia, smoking, dust and sand storms and finally coal dust.

• mark-koziol

September 14, 2019 at 7:09 am

Hello Martin, it is highly possible your 4 strikes did contribute to your fibrosis. Do you have ipf or PF? With PF they sometimes can narrow down the cause. Hopefully one day there is a cure. Take care, Mark.