Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Mark Koziol
      Keymaster

As patients living with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF), many of us experience anxiety and a plethora of emotions on a daily basis.  Many of us also experience the “winter blues”. I recently read an article titled, 3 Strategies to Fight Seasonal Affective Disorder: Helpful tips to ward off the winter blues. The article lists 3 tangible strategies to combat the “winter blues” for its readers. These “winter blues” is known as seasonal affect disorder (SAD).   “SAD, also called seasonal depression, is a form of depression that generally happens in the late fall, when there is less natural sunlight and the days become shorter and colder”.

Exercising, creating social situations, and light therapy are strategies the article mentions to combat SAD. I follow two of these recommendations regularly; I try to exercise more and it seems there is always some type of gathering among friends and family. Sometimes, I view staying at home and watching TV or doing nothing a blessing. The cold winters in Cleveland, Ohio don’t seem to bother me. I wear enough weather protective gear to feel comfortable, and as a patient living with IPF, I am fortunate I have not experienced these “winter blues” the article refers to.

Have you or are you currently experiencing the “winter blues”?

If so, what strategies have you tried to alleviate them?

Karen Martin
      Participant

I was born in Cleveland and lived the first 17 years of my life in the near area.  I am wondering what you are using for oxygen when you go out.  I have to use an e-tank and I find that both the tank and the tubing get really cold very quickly, even though I now live in Virginia.  If you are using this type of equipment, what are your strategies for keeping it from becoming a problem?  Breathing in the cold air from the cold tubing is something I find concerning.  Trying to wear a scarf over my face gets cumbersome over the canula.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Karen

Mark Koziol
      Keymaster

Hello Karen, when I was on oxygen I didn’t spend too much time in the cold air. My vehicle was started so when I got in to go to work in the morning or leaving work it was warm. I didn’t encounter a cold cannula. I did wear a fleece mask for my walk to the car. Have good day, mark.

Susan Howitt
      Participant

@casey

Hi Karen

I live in mini mountains of the Morvan Natural Park, an off shoot of the Massif Central in France. For going out,   I have an back pack oxygen concentrator, so very short tubing, and most can be tucked into my clothing so that it is warmed before it gets to my nose. I also wear a snood  (from HeatHolders) when necessary so as not to breathe in cold air and that of course goes over the tubing and the nasal prongs.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Charlene Marshall. Reason: tagging
      Lorraine
      Participant

I agree that the 3 strategies help (exercise, create social situation and light therapy).

With regard to an exercise program, I came across a new facility about 4 years ago and was able to get my high school friends to join, some are also retired and some now work part-time. The building has a glass facade and on sunny days it gets plenty of natural light. Magnificent views of the Atlantic Ocean and the Verrazano Bridge, which we can enjoy when we walk the track. On nice weather days and after classes we walk along the beach. I too wear protective gear and when necessary cover my nose mouth/neck with a gaiter, recommended for us.

I also had top down/bottom up cellular shades installed in my house, so I can take full advantage of the natural light when available.

To enhance my social circle and opportunities I joined meetup and I am very active with one particular group. We do all sorts of fun things together; Arts & Cultural, tourist stuff, overnight trips and just plain old nonsense. A lot of laughs. Also, go on many day trips through local organizations.

This all helps me but when the dance card is empty for long stretches the blues do set in. Oh and I see a therapist once every two-weeks for an hour.

Mark Koziol
      Keymaster

Hello Lorraine, thank you for sharing your amazing plan to conquer the “winter blues”. You have created a wonderful blueprint for our forum members. I don’t think I could add anything to this perfect plan. You must be an excellent friend to gather other friends up for exercise. I think this is a reflection of your caring personality. Best wishes and take care, mark.

Lorraine
      Participant

@casey

Hi Karen: Have you looked at, or tried a neck gaiter with a drawstring? It is like a turtle neck without the sweater, so you have access flexibility. Also, if you buy one made of fleece, it would have some give. I hope this helps, because it would cover your mouth and nose. Best wishes, Lorraine

Lorraine
      Participant

Thank you Mark, I appreciate your thoughtful and kind message. Best wishes, Lorraine

Nan
      Participant

Thanks Mark. I like winter but by late February I am done with it lol. My ” blues” are not related to season but when I do get the blues I do the things you said plus practicing gratitude. Not always easy but very helpful. Hope that helps.

Mark Koziol
      Keymaster

Hello Nan, of course your replies help. They help me and all the other members. Every suggestion and experience conveyed to the forum members help each of us identify with our experience. It lets us know we are not alone. So thank you Nan. I’m already done with winter and you are correct, practicing gratitude can have such an uplifting feeling. Take care, mark.

Mark Koziol
      Keymaster

Lorraine, you are most welcome.

Karen Martin
      Participant

Thanks, Lorraine.  I will look into that idea.    Karen

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

©2020 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account