Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums BioNews Content Flash Briefings & Podcasts Back Muscle Shrinkage Tied to Poor IPF Outcomes, Study Finds

• Back Muscle Shrinkage Tied to Poor IPF Outcomes, Study Finds

Posted by pulmonary-fibrosis-news-moderator on March 9, 2020 at 7:21 am

Research continues to emerge from around the world to help patients, researchers and physicians better understand idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF). Since there is currently no cure for this progressive lung disease, understanding factors that may contribute to poorer patient outcomes is imperative in helping patients live a longer life. 

Charlene Marshall was surprised to hear a link existed between a group of back muscles and their shrinkage, could be tied to poor IPF outcomes as the study suggests. Due to chronic oxygen deprivation, have you ever had concerns with your muscle mass or bone density as a patient with IPF?

Charlene Marshall replied 4 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • sylvain

March 10, 2020 at 1:42 pm

Never heard of back muscle shrinkage due to IPF. Daily workouts may offset the shrinkage rate. I workout daily and I don’t seem to be bothered by this concern.

• miltont

March 13, 2020 at 7:01 pm

I have never heard of this before but I do have a constant fight with the psoas muscles in my back. These are the muscles over the kidneys and when sore, sometimes have sufferers complain of kidney pain. I would never have associated it with IPF but it makes sense, since the timing of IPF symptoms (pre diagnosis) and this particular back problem are coincidental. I stretch these several times a day and if I don’t I quickly develop a stoop, back pains and a loss of height. Curious. Might be linked to the dry cough.

• Charlene Marshall

March 14, 2020 at 10:57 am

Hi Sylvain,

Thanks so much for writing to us regarding this topic. I was surprised to learn of it as well! It seems completely disconnected but alas, that doesn’t appear to be the case. Yes, working out is so important for those of us with IPF or any ILD, kudos to you for maintaining a good workout routine and I am glad to hear you don’t have any issues with your back. Keep in touch!
    Charlene.

• Charlene Marshall

March 14, 2020 at 12:03 pm

Hi Miltont,

Yes the back muscle pain certainly could be linked to the IPF dry cough. It is terrible! Sorry to hear you deal with muscle pain, it can be so uncomfortable and like you, I was surprised to learn this could be linked to IPF. Hang in there, thanks for writing.
    Charlene.