• breathing device

Posted by David Reno on April 21, 2024 at 8:15 am

Is anyone using the Inogen? How well does work, is it worth the money? I would love to hear from You. I am in 3rd. yr. of IPF. Getting close to needing ox.

Thanks

Patricia Randa replied 1 week, 3 days ago 16 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • Ron Gilles

April 23, 2024 at 1:43 pm

Hi my wife in currently using an inogen 5

on exertion she needs 3 liters of oxygen .

we have taken flights with it a few times ,i recommend bringing a letter from you respirologist

stating your o2 needs ,the battery can be a concern for the flight personnel.

all said we are very happy with our inogen …..no more oxygen tanks !!!

• Carol

April 23, 2024 at 2:52 pm

I too am needing a POC. I just got a concentrator for home use but need to do the 6 minute walk for my primary doctor before I can get a prescription for the POC. I can’t get in there for another week. I’m also looking at getting the Inogen. I’m on 1.5 liters right now at home but if I could get the Inogen 5 and it goes to 3 liters that would keep me going until I need a higher dose. I guess it depends on whether I need continuous flow or I can get by with the pulse type. Were you able to go through a home medical supply store or did you go directly through Inogen?

Thanks

Carol

• Sandyman

April 23, 2024 at 2:15 pm

I use an Inogen ONE and have had no issues with it. I do have extra batteries. The Level goes to 5 and uses the max battery amperage. Going down levels it uses less and the battery last longer. I can also use it in my truck and car as both have the plug in to keep it charged when using. My Inogen is fine for my needs and has been reliable.

• Temple Mayo

April 23, 2024 at 2:27 pm

I am 3 yrs in also and I am not far from needing O2. My pulmo, at UVa Hosp, said that the better choice is continuous flow over pulse. Unless they have updated the devices, Inogen is plus. My SIL uses them for COPD when she is away from home, otherwise she uses a concentrator. I know the tanks are not desirable, but… Good luck.

• Ellen Macko

April 23, 2024 at 2:45 pm

I have used Inogen for 5 years. However keep in mind at highest level ( mine is 6)it is only providing 1.26 L. I now can only use for driving otherwise I am on tanks. I was able to work with my Inogen for 10 months until I retired. The manufacturer is easy to talk to and provide support. All the best!

• Meredith

April 23, 2024 at 3:09 pm

All of the POCs are pretty good quality. I don’t suggest getting one until you need it. They get the machines to you in a few days. There are few continuous flow POCs and they are a bit bulky. Inogen is advertised on TV the other brands are not.

I’ve been using another brand for three years. Don’t hurry too much.

This disease moves slowly. No point in trying to get ahead. 🙂

• Randy

April 23, 2024 at 3:19 pm

Hello and good afternoon everyone,

Reading the article on breathing devices came real close to home for me In 2020, I was diaganoised with IPF. After using tanks for about 4-5 months, I saw the ad for the Inogen 6. I thought alright since I only was using 4 or 5 at the time and figured it would be along time before needing anything more. As time progressed, the Inogen.wasn’t doing the job I needed it to do since it is a pulse and not continuece flow.. If you don’t breath it doesn’t work.My lung doc told me that it doesn’t put out what it says it does. So, I had to go back on tanks

Now that isn’t working either. I have the home unit maxed out at 10 and the tanks at 10 which they go thru the oxygen real fast. Because of the rapid advancing PF, I have been put on hospice with only 1’2 lung left. I don’t o much anymore. Don’t buy a new Inogen, there companies on the internet that buy and sell used ones and recondition them.. I sold them mine since I can’t use it anymore.

Have a good day, Randy Thornton

• Kathryn Maguire

April 23, 2024 at 3:38 pm

I have an Inogen, my son got it for me. I love it, even though it is POC mine goes up to 6. I do not fly with it I don’t fly anymore at all. I do however go to the movies and theatre and restaurants and baby showers etc. It’s hard for me to use stairs so although for the most part on 4 when there is any stairs I pump up to 6. I always have my second battery charged and ready just in case. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Kathryn

• gary-mcenery

April 23, 2024 at 3:41 pm

Just remember that the numbers on the Inogen do not represent liters per minute. They are just arbitrary numbers that Inogen put on to create a scale. At a setting of 6 you are not receiving anywhere near 6 lpm.

• Carol

April 23, 2024 at 4:38 pm

It’s all really disappointing that these companies don’t just come out and say exactly what their machine puts out in liters! I was hoping I could get one that I could carry so I could go for walks without having to wheel something around since I live in the country with gravel roads and driveway. I’m using 1.5 liters now. I just got the machine last Friday so it’s all kind of new to me. I was prescribed for overnight use but am finding it helpful during the day also.

I guess I’ll find out next Monday if I can get prescribed for daytime use also. The home medical place here always says the carry type are backordered and can’t get them.

Carol

• Kathryn Maguire

April 25, 2024 at 3:41 pm

Yes I am aware.😃

• Fran Kakabeeke

April 23, 2024 at 4:33 pm

This is a timely discussion for me. I am not currently on oxygen but flew recently on an hour and 50 minutes flight. After about a half hour into the flight I began having chest discomfort. I checked my oxygen saturation and it was 84. I’m now getting tested for eligibility to receive Medicare reimbursement for oxygen in the home and portable. I was diagnosed with IPF 15 months ago but there is evidence on CT since 2019. I have a lot to learn about using oxygen. Thanks.

• eva

April 23, 2024 at 5:01 pm

I have been using the Inogen 6 for the last 2 yrs . It works good if your PF is not too advanced and oxygen needs are low. My PF has advanced quite a bit in the last yr so I get very sob with any exertion even with its setting on 5-6 ltrs. I use it for short outings and low activity . My Medicare insurance pays for 80%of the rental fee for both, the home and the pc.

• Buddy38

April 23, 2024 at 6:19 pm

I have two Imogene !! One goes to 3 the other goes to 6. They are both portable!! I have had IPF since 2016! About 2020 I started using oxygen with tanks and Imogene machines!! I used them for about 1 year. I weaned myself off of oxygen altogether. I I’m 85 1/2 years old. I can do whatever I want. I do not exert myself. I ride the scooter in the grocery store. I go to church every Sunday without oxygen, I go to restaurants without oxygen!!!

The Inogen machine are the best

Buddy

• Lou Body IV

April 23, 2024 at 7:55 pm

The Inogen G5 is a good unit. It has settings 1-6. Inogen tries to make you think that is LPM. It is not. Inogen won’t tell you the LPM which is a very deceptive selling practice. An engineer did a study and told me that the Pulse Mode at Setting 6 would supply the equivalent of 3.86LPM. The machine itself is very good and very reliable albeit not putting out that much oxygen.

• billydee

April 24, 2024 at 1:11 pm

I have a inogen g3 portable and a home unit I get for free with my medicare… the customer service is the best.. had a problem with unit after a year and they over nighted me a unit the next day at no cost to me

• Patricia Randa

April 25, 2024 at 6:14 pm

I use 3 sources of oxygen. I have a large concentrator that is kept in the laundry room and it supplies my oxygen needs day and night when I am home. It has a 50 ft. hose that I drag around the house and I am always careful not to trip on it. If I have friends or family over I use a tank on wheels so that other people aren’t subject to the hose issue. When I go to a Live performance theater I take my tank on wheels because this machine does not make noise. The Inogen makes an audible pulsing sound that would disturb people around me in a play. I always use the Inogen to go to the local stores and restaurants. The Inogen machine is heavy to lug around so I can only walk about 1/2 block without getting out of breath. Here is a good tip if you still drive. I am frequently the driver for a dear friend and since she occupies the passenger seat, I hang my Inogen on a hook at the back of my headrest. I think I found the hook online.