• Debbie

January 27, 2020 at 7:10 pm

The media is making the coronavirus look so much worse than it is.

The WHO has not declared this as an epidemic.

Thousands die yearly of the regular flu every year.

Calm is needed.

• Charlene Marshall

January 28, 2020 at 9:27 am

Hi Jaime,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts re: this new virus. Yes, it is a bit scary for those of us with compromised immune systems. It sounds as though it is a pretty common virus (or type of virus anyway) but can be most dangerous to seniors and those who have other underlying conditions/weakened immune systems, which includes us. I sure hope they figure out how to contain it soon. I’m not wearing a mask obsessively, but I see people wearing them in the city I live. Here’s hoping it can be addressed soon and the spread stops: people have to be smart about this, and self-isolate and seek medical treatment if they suspect they are infected.

Thanks for writing.
    Charlene.

• Charlene Marshall

January 28, 2020 at 9:29 am

Hi Debbie,

Yes, I agree with you that the media has blown this a bit out of proportion, however I’ve also read from credible sites that the numbers of those infected in China is significantly under-reported. Many die from the flu you’re right, and of those, many are seniors or those of us with weakened immune systems which includes many of us living with IPF/PF. Important to be diligent and proactive for our health, but I agree no need to panic at this time. A good topic of discussion among patients though…

Char.