Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Chronic Illness Gift Guide

• Chronic Illness Gift Guide

Posted by christie on December 8, 2021 at 9:00 am

Last week I rounded up all my best gift ideas for people in the PF & lung transplant communities. I know the holidays can be hard when you’re living with PF. There can be a lot of grief and pain that surface around family events, or traditions that make clear how much your disease has progressed. It can be a time of fear and hurt, that should be a time of joy and wonder. My hope with this gift guide was to bring a little bit of brightness back into the PF world we find ourselves in. Many of the products I chose are meant to make your PF routine a little more personalized and fun. Some things are more practical, and a few things are more frivolous. Hopefully, you find something you like, whether you’re living with or caring for someone with PF.

What’s on your list for Santa this year? Anything that would apply to the PF/lung transplant community? Share your suggestions with us!

christie replied 2 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • david-ota

December 15, 2021 at 3:45 pm

Ha Ha HA

This is a funny one.

N95 masks with the breather valve

Hand Sanitizer

Sun Screen

Take out pizza

A new pill caddy – mines getting dirty

A sun hat

UV protection shirts

Binax Now Covid self tests

Stay Safe – Happy Holidays

• christie

December 15, 2021 at 5:01 pm

That’s a great list @davidota!! I didn’t think to include sun protection items, but hats, shirts, sun gloves, sunscreen, etc. are all great ideas. My mom has tons of sunshirts!

I also like the idea of COVID self-tests. I wish they were more readily available and affordable (free…..) in America. They would make a perfect stocking stuffer for anyone who plans on being out in public ever again, lol.

And of course, take-out pizza is a winner. You can’t go wrong with the gift of food. Gift cards for your fave local restaurant that has delivery would be a great idea, but I’m also a fan of surprise pizza on my doorstep.

• christie

December 15, 2021 at 5:02 pm

Here’s a column about sun-safety if you’re on immune-suppressing medications 🙂

• david-ota

December 16, 2021 at 10:20 am

Thanks Christie

Sun Protection becomes a big deal for us immunosuppressed folks.  The Binax test kit is available at Walgreens OTC $25.  My kids are traveling this holiday season so I told them to test before they come here.  For work, one of our vendors has Pizza-Cast sales pitch/seminars.  They send me a free pizza 30 min before the WebEx.  Free pizza is one of the highlights of my work these days.

Dave

• brendacolvin

December 16, 2021 at 2:22 pm

David not sure where you live but the Binax kits here in Florida are $14 at Sams Club

• christie

December 18, 2021 at 7:34 pm

The ones I purchased from Walgreens and CVS were both in the $25 neighborhood for a two-pack. Haven’t seen them at Costco and I don’t go to Sam’s, but good to know that’s an option for people with memberships there.

Make sure they are testing right up until they see you David, the viral load can increase fast enough to turn positive within a couple of hours after a negative test 🙂 Glad they’re taking precautions!

• marianne

December 19, 2021 at 7:34 pm

Hi all.  I believe in some of the public libraries in Ohio you can pick up a self-test free of charge.  Here the self-tests are flying off the shelves.  Stores and pharmacies get them in a couple times a week.  A few hours later and they are sold out.  I believe the cost of these is around $25, if you can find them.

Marianne

• christie

December 21, 2021 at 4:12 pm

America’s libraries, saving the day again! I hope that’s more widespread, though it seems like part of Biden’s Omicron plan is to increase access and affordability of home tests… maybe they will be free like they are in the EU. Maybe wishful thinking, ha.