Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums BioNews Content Flash Briefings & Podcasts Circadian Clock of Cells in Lung Appears Troubled in Pulmonary Fibrosis

• Circadian Clock of Cells in Lung Appears Troubled in Pulmonary Fibrosis

Posted by pulmonary-fibrosis-news-moderator on January 13, 2020 at 9:57 am

Charlene Marshall discusses a new study outlining the link between sleep and Pulmonary Fibrosis. The study suggests that circadian rhythms can become dysregulated in the lungs of those with PF, enabling the study to further investigate the relationship between too much or too little sleep as risk factors for this fibrotic lung disease. Targeting this molecular machinery (the circadian clock) and understanding it better, could be a potential treatment strategy for patients with PF.

Are you interested in learning more about Pulmonary Fibrosis? If so, please visit: pulmonaryfibrosisnews.com

Charlene Marshall replied 4 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • marshaharris

January 14, 2020 at 1:39 pm

Glad I listened to this…very interesting and do-able!  So, it’s 7 hours of sleep for me consistently every night.  Very simply put, the subject research suggests that those who have PF and sleep under 4 hours a night are 2 times more likely to experience further fibroid activity in the lungs.  And those who have PF and sleep over 11 hours a night are 3 times more likely.  Got my attention!

How it works at the cellular and molecular levels was outlined in a manner that even I could follow.  Thank you, @charlene.marshall for posting such an interesting area of research!  ?                 Hugs,  Marsha

• Charlene Marshall

January 18, 2020 at 1:32 pm

Hi Marsha,

So nice to hear from you as always, thanks so much for writing 🙂

I agree, this article was very interesting and sleep is something that (for the most part) we can control, or try our best to anyways. I will be trying to get a consistent 7hour sleep every night as well. I’ve been sleeping a lot as I continue to recover too, which is a good thing according to this research and I haven’t exceeded 11 hours.

Really glad you found it interesting, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Be well my friend <3

Char.

• john-mark

January 26, 2020 at 10:45 pm

Interesting about B cell. I have been helping my brother research about Ebstien Bar virus and guess what EBV favorite cell to lay latent in is the B cell. That was one of the worries with the vaccine that it would take out B cell along with EBV. I’m going to get his thoughts on this and post back if there is a possible relationship to circadian clock of cells and EBV. PS I was sleeping less than 4 coughing constantly now sleep with raised head hospital bed I go 12 hours or more and I’m a happy camper I can’t take the no sleep.

• Charlene Marshall

January 28, 2020 at 9:40 am

Hi John,

It sounds like the ‘magical window’ of sleep is between 7-11 hours for the ideal circadian rhythm. I was surprised to learn this myself and am trying harder to get the optimal hours of sleep, though I can’t always do this either. Is your brother a physician re: knowing about B-cells and the EBV virus? If so, I’d be curious to hear his thoughts on this for sure 🙂

Take care,
    Charlene.