Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Theresa Skuczas
      Participant

I discovered I have IPF in March of 2022; after heart stents, I am on 4% oxygen last month. Nasal drip is always bad when I eat, walk just sitting when laying down or morning, nighttime stuffed up. Coughing up mucus, not out, just up. I think I had this IPF longer than six months.

schroeder
      Participant

I use a couple of things for the congestion and post nasal drip issues. I have a prescription Nasal Spray called APO-MOMETASSONE and I also take MUCINEX to help the congestion.

Ray Townsend
      Participant

Hi Theresa,

Nasal drip and excessive mucus are really big problems for many of us and I’m sure different things work for different people – here are my experiences.  (I live in the UK so perhaps medication names may be different in the US).

I was diagnosed in February 2021 after suffering with breathlessness, post nasal drip and mucus for a number of years.  I’m on 150mg of Ofev twice a day and so far my symptoms remain stable. (I am not on oxygen).

I found the way to partially control post nasal drip was by taking Beconase morning and night but recently I have switched to another nasal spray called Avamys and this I think works better for me.  I have controlled my mucus problem by cutting out most dairy products and taking Carbocisteine.  Originally I took 2 x 375mg capsules morning and 2 before bed and frankly it didn’t work and I was thinking of cutting the med out but then a respiratory nurse on my care team suggested taking two <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>additional</span> capsules in the middle of the day and this miraculously cleared up the mucus problem – at least for now.

The above information may not work for you but I hope it is of some help.

Try to keep positive – we are all at different stages on the same journey.

Best regards, Ray Townsend

Ps.  For me the other thing that helps <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>everything</span> is exercise so if you can get out for a walk most days I think you will feel the difference.

Rob
      Participant

Hi Theresa

I have IPF and take Esbriet.  Also Serrapeptase seems to help.  For nasal congestion I use Omnaris and also saline sprays.  For lung congestion I’ve been inhaling Mucomyst(Acetylcysteine) with a nebulizer for the last 3 years and it has helped greatly.
      Stay well.
      Rob

James
      Participant

I was diagnosed IPF in 2017.  I am sure that I have expelled several dozen gallons of mucus since then.  I use face cloths to cough into… they are soaked within an hour or so.  Ofev 150 x 2 a day and Guaifenesin 400 mg x 3 a day to make coughs more productive, that it does…. it works better than nothing I suppose.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2022 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account