Tagged: 

• Congestion

Posted by theresa-skuczas on September 27, 2022 at 8:24 am

I discovered I have IPF in March of 2022; after heart stents, I am on 4% oxygen last month. Nasal drip is always bad when I eat, walk just sitting when laying down or morning, nighttime stuffed up. Coughing up mucus, not out, just up. I think I had this IPF longer than six months.

john-k-grubb replied 1 year, 2 months ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • schroeder

September 27, 2022 at 9:37 am

I use a couple of things for the congestion and post nasal drip issues. I have a prescription Nasal Spray called APO-MOMETASSONE and I also take MUCINEX to help the congestion.

• ray-townsend

September 27, 2022 at 9:49 am

Hi Theresa,

Nasal drip and excessive mucus are really big problems for many of us and I’m sure different things work for different people – here are my experiences.  (I live in the UK so perhaps medication names may be different in the US).

I was diagnosed in February 2021 after suffering with breathlessness, post nasal drip and mucus for a number of years.  I’m on 150mg of Ofev twice a day and so far my symptoms remain stable. (I am not on oxygen).

I found the way to partially control post nasal drip was by taking Beconase morning and night but recently I have switched to another nasal spray called Avamys and this I think works better for me.  I have controlled my mucus problem by cutting out most dairy products and taking Carbocisteine.  Originally I took 2 x 375mg capsules morning and 2 before bed and frankly it didn’t work and I was thinking of cutting the med out but then a respiratory nurse on my care team suggested taking two <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>additional</span> capsules in the middle of the day and this miraculously cleared up the mucus problem – at least for now.

The above information may not work for you but I hope it is of some help.

Try to keep positive – we are all at different stages on the same journey.

Best regards, Ray Townsend

Ps.  For me the other thing that helps <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>everything</span> is exercise so if you can get out for a walk most days I think you will feel the difference.

• obleek

October 4, 2022 at 9:08 am

Hi Theresa

I have IPF and take Esbriet.  Also Serrapeptase seems to help.  For nasal congestion I use Omnaris and also saline sprays.  For lung congestion I’ve been inhaling Mucomyst(Acetylcysteine) with a nebulizer for the last 3 years and it has helped greatly.
    Stay well.
    Rob

• magician

October 4, 2022 at 2:34 pm

I was diagnosed IPF in 2017.  I am sure that I have expelled several dozen gallons of mucus since then.  I use face cloths to cough into… they are soaked within an hour or so.  Ofev 150 x 2 a day and Guaifenesin 400 mg x 3 a day to make coughs more productive, that it does…. it works better than nothing I suppose.

• john-k-grubb

January 4, 2023 at 2:54 pm

I have suffered from excess mucus in the lungs for about 50 years, with difficulty in clearing my lungs.  About 20 years ago I discovered that if I take Mucinex 1200 extended tablets in the morning and evening the mucus would thin out enough so I could keep my lungs clear.

Las March I was diagnosed with IPF and put on Ofev, 150 mg, morning and evening.  After about 3 weeks my mucus problem disappeared and my lungs are now clear about 95% of the time.

Doctor has no insight and have not found anyone who can expain