• COVID-19 Vaccine for Transplant Patients

Posted by Mark Koziol on January 5, 2021 at 7:00 pm

The COVID-19 vaccine has been in the news a lot lately, and for today’s forum topic, I decided to share two articles related to transplant patient’s receiving the vaccine. The first is by the American Society of Transplantation (AST). This article includes interactive vaccine trackers and information on the safety of the vaccine for transplant patients. AST states the COVID-19 vaccines for transplant patients are safe even though there hasn’t been a study conducted. The two approved vaccines are what is called mRNA vaccines. Both are on a 2-dose schedule and are not a live virus. The document is a good read, and I suggest all of our members take the time to read and ask questions to their physicians or transplant coordinators as needed.

The second article is regarding participation in a study by Johns Hopkins University. National Vaccine Research Study for Transplant Recipients is the title of the research study.  This study will be a data collection for transplant recipients who choose to receive the vaccine. COVID-19 antibodies will be documented via several blood collections. I believe this will be excellent data to have for the patient and researchers, and I want to know how well I am protected. I am also willing to compose a Google doc for anyone who wants to participate in an informal survey.

Herd immunity is often discussed in today’s world as well. Cleveland Clinic published an article titled, “How Much of the Population Will Need to Be Vaccinated Until the Pandemic is Over?” The information in the report is clear and concise and stated in the layperson’s vocabulary.

I am interested to know how many of our members will be receiving the COVID-19 vaccine when it becomes available.

If you are choosing not to receive the vaccine, do you mind sharing your reason, purely out of curiosity? If not, that is okay.

Dennis Rowe replied 3 years, 3 months ago 0 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Dennis Rowe

January 7, 2021 at 2:17 pm

As soon as UCSF gives the ok for it’s transplant patients, I’ll be there to get it!