Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: 50+ Eating Heart Healthy Foods While Self-Isolating

• Eating Heart Healthy Foods While Self-Isolating

Posted by Mark Koziol on May 12, 2020 at 4:00 pm

In our house, we have struggled with eating healthy the past 2 months while we have self-isolated. As a post-transplant patient I have my cholesterol tested every 3 months. I always worry how my results will come back. My good cholesterol is always lower than normal but my overall cholesterol and triglycerides are normal. Some of the foods I’ve eaten lately can be categorized as unhealthy but I also try to get a dose of fruits and vegetables in every day. I think this plays a factor in my overall cholesterol score.

The Cleveland Clinic Health Essentials published an article titled, “17 Power Foods for your Heart”. The article is interactive and offers the readers a guide to healthy eating by offering choices for heart healthy foods.

During these past two months have you found it difficult to eat healthy?

Mark Koziol replied 3 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Marianne

May 17, 2020 at 10:49 am

I have not been eating as healthy as before self-isolation.  I have been making face masks for awhile for family and friends.  I go out to grocery store and pharmacy.  I am trying to eat more fruits and vegetables and less junk food.  If I bake, I share with friends and neighbors by putting on their porch and calling them to tell them I left them something to eat.  Not exercising as much as I need to either.  Hopefully, since the weather is better now I will get outside more.  I had been going to the gym 5-6 days a week.  I miss the gym but am concerned about returning when gyms open up soon.  I have tried some new recipes during this time.  Some good, others not so great.  Take care.

Marianne

• Mark Koziol

May 18, 2020 at 7:28 am

Hello Marianne, I know it’s tough eating right when it feels like we are cooped up for an endless amount of time. I think like you, I feel the weather has an impact on my desire to work out and eat right. This past week it just started to warm up, but there is rain in the forecast. Stay well, mark.

• Terry Neu

July 9, 2020 at 3:32 pm

I have struggled eating healthy all of my adult life. I like fruits and vegetable but dislike salad, and salad is what all the experts push. Its very frustrating and stressful. My Pulmonologist wants me to lose some weight and I am trying. I am seeing a dietician but she just throws a bunch of papers at me and tells me to follow these rules. I was really hoping we could talk and discuss my likes and dislikes and help with the meal plans but I don’t think that how doctors are trained.  I am about ready to throw in the towel and say forget it. I do get daily exercise with walks and home exercises. I was going to the local pulmonary rehabilitation place pretty regular but with covid that came to an end.

I was diagnosed with IPF 16 months ago and have not had any major problems yet, thank the Lord. I guess I will just take one day at a time.

Terry

• Mark Koziol

July 9, 2020 at 4:37 pm

Hello Terry, I would try and make a list of foods that you like to eat at certain times of the day. Try to divide them up in their categories; protein, carbs, fruits and veggies that aren’t starchy. I had to lose weight and I would eat 5-6 small meals a day and I was never hungry. Each meal would have a protein and a carb sometimes it would be starchy like a potatoe or rice but it wasn’t a lot. I would try and eat more veggies than fruit. Good idea is to cut them up do they are easily accessible to nibble on when u feel the need to eat a cpl chips. On this plan I lost 80 pounds giving me the ability to be listed for a lung transplant. I need to go back to this plan now. If you have anymore questions, please ask. Take care, Mark!

• Terry Neu

July 10, 2020 at 7:04 am

Thank you for the suggestion. I will try that.

• Mark Koziol

July 10, 2020 at 8:48 am

You are welcome Terry. The most important thing to making this plan work is to have appropriate portion size. You don’t want to overeat just even to keep you going for a couple hours. I also found keeping a little bowl of nuts readily accessible like on the counter will help in your plan. Mark