• Posted by john styles on June 20, 2020 at 7:30 am

I started taking ECGC three weeks ago, after one week I modified my dosage and procedure to mirror the information reported here from the New England Journal of medicine. I also do laser once or twice a week I was reviewing my labs and noticed 2 1/2 years ago I had a blood test for SED rate ( ESR ) and results were high at 60. A high SED rate is an indication of inflammation in your body and may be a prediction of mortality.  Last week while having labs done I asked the doctor ton test my SED rate. My SED rate was normal, down to 17 .

Charlene Marshall replied 3 years, 10 months ago 6 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Charlene Marshall

June 21, 2020 at 9:33 am

Hi John,

Thanks so much for sharing – I’m glad to hear of the reduction in SED and thus, inflammation in your latest labs. That is excellent news! That was one of the things concerning with the physicians when I had labs done along with my first COVID swab. My CRP (also a marker of inflammation, but not sure if it’s the same as SED) was in the 70s and it should be between 3-20. Interesting. So glad to hear yours is down to a normal range: do you feel any better taking the EGCG?

Take care,
    Charlene.

• john styles

June 23, 2020 at 7:12 am

Can not really say I feel better, seems the saturation rate is bouncing around, I was stuck in the 88 to 89 and now I see it is 89 or 91 or 92 but it can be different on different days.  I paid the $20 to the New England Journal of medicine and downloaded the complete publication of the ECGC research after reading about  it on this web site. They referenced two tests they did for fibrois and when I asked my pulmonologist if they could run the tests the pulmonologists said they were speciality tests and their lab said no. I then reviewed some of my lab work from a research hospital and noticed they ran the SED test so I had my general doctor do the test and was surprised to see it normal. When I see the pulmonologist at the research hospital I will ask him to run the speciality tests. Exciting to me to see no inflammation.

• Judy Fraser

June 23, 2020 at 2:30 pm

John: Exciting news. I also have been taking the same dose of the ECGC for 3 weeks. I don’t see my pulmonologist until August so won’t have any comparison results until then, but feel like maybe I’m getting a little better–not as short of breath. I only use oxygen and test my level when I’m exercising, which isn’t much these days, so I can’t compare numbers. But I’m feeling good about what’s happening.
    John, did you learn anything else from the complete publication that might be of interest to us?
    Thanks, Judy

• Steve Dragoo

June 23, 2020 at 6:49 pm

@caneelbay1  – way to go John controlling inflammation is crucial for many reasons but based on your saturation, do you feel laser is working? I noticed a slight decrease in energy when I returned to the Philippines (no class 4 laser here) but that could have been for a number of reasons. – Steve

• john styles

June 24, 2020 at 6:44 am

@steve-dragoo

I do not know if laser or the ECGC is working to reduce the inflammation

but one of them or both are working.  I had done the EGCG for 3 weeks, 2 weeks at the dose and time recommended in the study posted on this web site ” Green Tea extract seems to stop fibrosis as seen in small study” when I was getting ready to do labs I thought I would check the markers for fibrosis that were checked in the study but the local lab at Quest told me they were speciality tests so I thought I would check the inflammation with the SED test after having a SED test 2 1/2 years ago and the Sed was now normal,  cant really say saturation is any better but with no inflammation I was encouraged. Do not know if it was laser or ECGC.

• john styles

June 24, 2020 at 6:47 am

The complete publication from the New England Journal of medicines is fascinating, worth th $20 to download the publication.  Learned it was a real research study, small but done at reputable hospitals. First access the article here referenced in the above post.

• Charlene Marshall

June 24, 2020 at 8:16 pm

Hi @caneelbay1 ,

I loved reading the full article as well!

I have a call with Dr. Chapman, the investigator on the NEJM study on Friday about how we hope to further provide data on EGCG benefitting IPF patients. Fingers crossed, I’ll let you know how it goes 🙂
    Charlene.

• Gregory Dixon

June 25, 2020 at 6:31 am

@caneelbay1

Thanks John, for this useful post. I’m taking 600 mg of EGCg every morning as soon as I awaken. Another article in the forum emphasized bioavailability and noted that EGCg was compromised if taken with food. Did you see that study?  Catherine…please ask Dr. Chapman about that.  Also glad to know about the measures of inflammation. I will pay attention to those in the future. As I am not very symptomatic with my IPF, it is hard no note improvement.

• Jerry Genesio

June 25, 2020 at 2:44 pm

Charlene – Unexplained weight loss was one of the symptoms I have had due to the IPF and since I’ve been taking 500 mg of EGCG daily I’ve noticed a very slight increase in the rate of weight loss. Whether it’s attributable to the EGCG or not I don’t know but when I finish this bottle of EGCG I don’t plan to replace it and will monitor my weight closely to see if I can determine whether or not EGCG might be affecting the rate of weight loss. If you discuss this with Dr. Chapman, I’d be very interested in his/her response.

• Charlene Marshall

June 28, 2020 at 10:04 am

Hi Jerry,

Thanks so much for writing, but sorry to hear of that side effect of EGCG – I remember weight loss was something you were worried about with this supplement. Let me know how monitoring the weight goes once you’ve finished this bottle, and we can proceed however you’re most comfortable re: the longitudinal survey we’re exploring. The chat with Dr. Chapman on Friday was good, very informative and helpful. He had some recommendations that he’d like us to build into the project, as we continue the study design so the team is now working on that. We hope to have future correspondence with him in future, and he does see an opportunity for us to possibly work together which is great! Take care, and let me know how you’re doing 🙂
    Charlene.

• Gregory Dixon

June 28, 2020 at 10:31 am

Hello Charlene…..I am eager to hear from Dr. Chapman had to say. Does he concered about those of us jumping into an egcg regimen? Does he have guidance about how long one might continue the regimen? Does he recommend taking the 600 mg dose all at once on an empty stomach?  These are just a few that come to mind.

• Charlene Marshall

June 28, 2020 at 10:40 am

Hi Gregory,

Thanks so much for reaching out.

I was part of the call with Dr. Chapman, but the focus of our hour long conversation was around the inclusion criteria for the survey design. He gave us some good suggestions around this project, and is open to discussing this further with us which is good news. He made it very clear that he can’t recommend taking EGCG yet, as a formal clinical trial hasn’t been conducted and although we’d like to explore this, it’ll take some time for sure. I didn’t get a chance to ask him specifics, as this call was really an introduction to what we’re hoping to do and then an opportunity for him to see what we’ve pulled together so far, and provide some feedback on it. I look forward to taking a peak at what our research team has devised this week, from a patient perspective, which will have incorporated some of Dr. Chapman’s feedback. Sorry I don’t have too many more specifics yet, this was really just an introductory call 🙂

Take care,
    Charlene.