Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: 50+ Headaches in the Mornings

• Headaches in the Mornings

Posted by Charlene Marshall on September 12, 2022 at 3:00 pm

Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF) is a complicated lung disease. So much so that oftentimes patients are misdiagnosed because the “common” symptoms of this disease are mistaken for simpler ailments such as allergies or a stubborn virus. 

I’ve written about the common symptoms of IPF on these forums and in various columns, but sometimes the more uncommon ones leave me puzzled. They also seem to appear (and go) randomly!

This past week I’ve been dealing with one of those unusual symptoms: having a headache in the morning. The headache is intense at first and with Tylenol, it subsides quickly, thankfully, and I often don’t need to take more than one Tylenol for it to go away. It feels like the headache I had with COVID but I’ve tested consistently and I’m negative, plus I don’t have any other symptoms. I’m wondering if maybe I’m not hydrated enough at bedtime. I can’t imagine this being the case as I drink a lot of water due to an acute kidney injury but I’m not sure what else it could be.

Does anyone else suffer from morning headaches since their IPF diagnosis?

If so, have you been able to attribute it to anything and how long did it last? 

roger-cecil replied 1 year, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Jeff Taylor-Jackson

September 13, 2022 at 9:42 am

Hi Charlene,

I can relate to this.

I’m not sure what it is down to, but the bottom line is my IPF. I often wake in the night, once, maybe twice.

I also wake with a headache due to me feeling more tired than I did when I went to bed.

I have had one test for sleep apneoa, that showed that I dont have it. I’m not sure one test, over one night is enough data, but that’s all I had.

For me, I’m pretty certain my headaches in the morning are due to the broken sleep, maybe it’s my brain telling me to wake up because I am not breathing enough – Who knows.

I do suffer from migraines too, so whether they are linked more to my IPF is another unknown.

At least the Tylenol works for you.

Kind regards Jeff in England.

• roger-cecil

September 13, 2022 at 5:05 pm

I have also been blessed with headaches in the morning, but I also attributed them to not drinking enough water.  I don’t get the headaches every day, and when I do, I get up and drink a glass of water and go back to sleep or just get up.  It seems to help albeit may be that I want it to help.  Hard to explain.  I sincerely hope yours go away soon.