Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Navigating Society Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness & Advocacy How The Apple Watch Can Assist Patients with Pulmonary Fibrosis

• Dave Sabatelli

January 7, 2020 at 10:48 am

Just sent to Apple feedback  “I have IPF and knowing my blood oxygen level is very important me.Is this a feature Apple is considering for the Apple watch?”
    Thanks

dave

• Mark Koziol

January 7, 2020 at 11:09 am

Hello Dave, I have done a little research and can not find any valid text stating the Apple Watch would also act as a pulse oximeter. I would hope that technology could soon be available. Until then I will carry my pulse oximeter where ever I go. Take care, Mark.

• Rod Danner

January 8, 2020 at 8:33 am

I thought I would give an update on my experience with the Apple Watch 5 that was under the tree on Christmas. I have been exploring the use and potential over the last two weeks. I have found it to be extremely useful in any number of ways both health and related to life in general. It works relatively seamlessly with my iPhone, although, it sometimes takes some fiddling and tweaking to get the result you want.

The watch replaced my Fitbit, of which, I was quite fond. Many of the features of the Fitbit are mirrored with the watch, but the endpoint data is much more thorough. I find that the reminders to breathe and to stand are a good way to keep you from sitting for too long. Closing the activity rings gives you a daily challenge. You can adjust the “Move” goal for a different calorie burn threshold, but that is the only one you can tweak. Although I try to exercise daily, I find that I often do not close the “Exercise” ring. It often gives me little to no credit for a two-mile walk. It is pulse rated and I find that if I walk fast enough to elevate the pulse to the required level, my wife can’t keep up. That said, it does give you a complete readout of time, distance, heart rate, calorie burn, pace etc even if it doesn’t close the ring. I have tried using “Map my Walk” with the workout app, but it gives you double readings in the “Health” app.

Many of the apps I had on my phone exported to the watch which was quite surprising and convenient. I have added a couple of iPhone/Watch 5 apps which I find excellent if you’re kind of obsessive about monitoring health data. The first is called “Heartwatch”, which coupled with the heart measurement capabilities gives you all kinds of data, including time in elevated heart rate zones (warmup, fat burn, fitness, etc) which was missing from the “workout” app. There is a companion app called “Autosleep” that monitors lots of information about your sleep patterns. Both of these are much more thorough than the data from my Fitbit. The apps are $2.99 each in the App Store and will work with only the series 4&5.

I am extremely pleased with my watch and am finding it increasingly useful every day. I have the GPS only, no cellular. I consider it to be a good investment in monitoring my health.

My apologies for this being so long.

• Pam Steele

January 8, 2020 at 12:33 pm

My new I watch just arrived.  Charging it now.  So do I find the breathe app on the watch or the phone.  Very excited about it.

• Rod Danner

January 9, 2020 at 8:56 am

The Breathe app is native. It will already be on your watch.

• Charlene Marshall

January 11, 2020 at 9:28 am

@pamsteele

Hi Pam,

Thanks so much for writing, I’m glad you got the watch. It’s been a few days since your post – do you like it so far? The Breathe App as Rod mentioned is built into the device and should be on unless you opt to turn it off. It is easy to glance down at the ‘reminder’ to breathe notification that comes up and ignore it, but I am challenging myself to avoid doing this and trying to follow the instructions on deep breathing twice daily. Let me know what you think of it so far!
    Charlene.

• Charlene Marshall

January 11, 2020 at 9:36 am

@rod-danner

Hi Rod,

Many thanks for writing and providing us with your thoughts/experiences of the Apple Watch. I second much of what you’re saying in terms of how great and effective it is!

With regards to the activity rings, I like this but yes unless I walk at a certain pace (hard to do right now, as I recover from this illness) it doesn’t capture it as any type of physical activity. I do like knowing the calories burned though, and the steps/distance walked. The exercise ring gives me a challenge to close every day, but like you I haven’t been able to always complete it. I wonder if there is another step-tracker/exercise App you could add to the watch that might capture more of the data you’re looking for? I need to explore other helpful apps that can be added to the watch as I know I’m not using it to its full capabilities. I use the AutoSleep app too! One I’d like to find and put on my watch is to help with my water intake – tracking how much, reminders to drink etc. I do not drink near the amount of water as I probably should.

Thanks for the review of the watch, I’m glad you’re liking it!
    Take care, Charlene.

Page 2 of 2