Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge IPF AND LIVER DISEASE (Cirrhosis)

• IPF AND LIVER DISEASE (Cirrhosis)

Posted by Judy Kucera on July 25, 2023 at 8:32 am

I was diagnosed with IPF a year ago, went on Ofev 2 months later — had a previous diagnosis of fatty liver, and 3 months after going on Ofev, it had progressed to moderate cirrhosis at which point I discontinued Ofev.

Have been working with my pulmonologist along with several other doctors, am taking autoimmune-suppressant,Mycophenolate, along with an acid-reflux medication and am on oxygen 24/7, 3l at rest and 5l when I move around.  I do 20 minutes of morning bed exercises a day focusing on breathing and gentle rotations, which, along with 1 Aleve a day and olive oil has reduced my arthritis aches.  Turning 80 this week, live in SF, had viral vertigo 5 years ago and was exposed to wildfire 3 years ago. Plan to donate my body to science when the time comes.  Have been following the Forum but thx is my first posting.  Judy K

Kitty replied 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Millie

July 25, 2023 at 2:55 pm

Hi Judy: Do you think the Ofev caused the chirossis or you would have developed it anyway? I have fatty liver and have been on Ofev over a year now and no problems. I drink no alcohol. I have liver/kidney function blood work done every 3 months.

• john styles

July 26, 2023 at 9:00 am

Having UIP and cirrhosis made me ineligible for a lung transplant, I was told I would need liver and lung transplant, a double and survival rate is 50%. My cirrhosis was from Hep C that was cured 6 years before being cured of Hep C. I could not take the medication available.  People will tell you they have had IPF for 20 years or 10 years, all this is based on when our disease was discovered. My UIP journey was discovered when I had 50% lung capacity. to know how fast I am deteriorating I an doing pft tests every 6 months. I have had this disease 7 years since discovery but I think I have had it 20  years.

• Kitty

July 27, 2023 at 3:37 pm

Since nutrition guidance over recent decades has recommended cutting back on organ meats and egg yolks we generally don’t consume the daily requirement for a nutrient called choline. Choline is important to liver, lung, and brain health.