• nanajane

December 28, 2018 at 9:44 am

Thanks for this article – I have been wondering about some of these possible irritants.  I needed a haircut this week and went by my usual walk-in salon about 4:30 the other day.  As soon as I poked my head in the door the smells of the sprays, gels and dyes was overwhelming.  I went home and called my favorite hairdresser there and she agreed to meet me right at 9:00 the next morning when they open and the air would be much cleaner.  That worked perfectly.  Have had to forego the nail salons completely.

I was only using masks when outdoors since I have allergies to pine needles and moldy leaves (which are everywhere in the American southeast!) but now I will keep some in the car for pumping gas etc.

• Charlene Marshall

December 30, 2018 at 8:38 am

Hi NanaJane,

Thanks for your reply and sharing your experience about this topic! It is a tough one, as I never knew how much scent or extreme temperatures could impact my lungs until I was faced with living with IPF. I agree with you about the hair salon, and try go to when it is just opening or near closing, in hopes that there will be less people there and thus, less products being used. It doesn’t always work, but sometimes. Do you use the hospital-grade/surgical masks? Those are good too, but just wanted to also share that I always have my Vogmask in my purse. While it isn’t the highest level of protection, I find it the most comfortable and convenient. It also is very effective in blocking out harmful smells in my experience, as I wear it whenever I am near or cleaning my cat’s litter. I also always wear it when I fly! You can buy them online if you’re interested…

Take care,
    Charlene.