Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Ipratropium Bromide 0.03% and similar nasal sprays

• Ipratropium Bromide 0.03% and similar nasal sprays

Posted by Jerry Genesio on March 3, 2020 at 12:28 am

I’m 81, received my IPF diagnosis less than 3 months ago, and I’m new to these forums. My pulmonologist has recommended Esbriet but I don’t like what I’ve read about it in terms of side effects and because I’m taking several other prescription meds including Xarelto and Plavix so Ofev is off the table. I’m scheduled to see another pulmonologist who specializes in IPF for a second opinion mainly because I’ve been using Ipratropium Bromide 0.03% nasal spray for 7 years twice a day every day to stop my nose from running and the IPF diagnosis prompted me to check the spray’s side effects. I was surprised to learn the “common” side effects include a cough producing mucus, shortness of breath, dyspepsia, and chest tightness/pain. “Less common” side effects include loss of appetite, and sensitivity to cold. I have all of the symptoms I’ve mentioned so I’m not at all convinced the IPF diagnosis is accurate. I’m anxious to know if anyone else on this forum uses a nasal spray and if they have these same symptoms. Incidentally, I live in Maine.

Jerry Genesio replied 4 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Mark Koziol

March 3, 2020 at 7:04 am

Hello Jerry, I was prescribed the bromide after my transplant and take it occasionally when my seasonal allergies flare up. I was also asked to take an over the counter allergy medicine for my post nasal drip. I go back and forth between several of the types. They seem to work for me. It is good you are getting a second opinion. This never hurts especially when you have doubts about the care you have received. Hopefully you have been given diagnostic tests and pulmonary function tests to establish your diagnosis. Take care, Mark.

• Terry Moriarty

March 3, 2020 at 3:32 pm

@jgenesio

I take that nasal spray for a runny nose caused by my lung condition. I have Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis, not IPF. But once I progressed to fibrosis, there’s not much difference in dealing with the symptoms or side effects. At this point, drug treatment for HP is different from IPF. I’ve gone through all the symptoms and side effects of ILDs in the 13 years I’ve been dealing with HP. 2nd opinions are always good. Just make sure your pulmonologist actually knows something about ILDs. There are so many variations, it’s not unknown for misdiagnosises to occur.

• William Scott

March 8, 2020 at 9:34 pm

Why does taking Xarelto and Plavix keep you from taking Ofev?

I’m taking several other prescription meds including Xarelto and Plavix so Ofev is off the table

• Jerry Genesio

March 9, 2020 at 8:54 am

@scotty

One of the Ofev side effects is “risk of bleeding” and, of course, Xarelto is a blood thinner, and Plavix keeps platelets from sticking together so bleeding episodes can be hard to control.