• Low Fat Desserts/Cakes

Posted by Katie Bagshawe on April 4, 2019 at 7:15 am

Hello everyone!

I have one hell of a sweet tooth that I’ve been trying to curb with choosing wisely in my sweet snacks. I’ve been actively doing more home cooking/baking, so I thought I would share some of my inspiration and attempts here in case anyone else wants to become a bit more of a chef in the kitchen.

I’ve started a tea loaf (I’m a true Brit in that I can’t live without my tea) and have found this recipe which I started making after work last night. I’ve left the fruit to soak overnight as I’ve usually done that in the past to help make it a bit more juicy and tasty than imminently making the cake after soaking it with tea. I’ll take some pictures and share the results soon! The reviews are positive in this one that you can freeze it so it’d be handy to batch make and save for a sweet treat along the way.

Low Fat Fruit Tea Loaf

Charlene Marshall replied 5 years ago 3 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Lorraine

April 4, 2019 at 5:34 pm

I might give the Low Fat Fruit Tea Loaf a try.

This one is real easy and low calorie SKINNY 3-2-1 MICROWAVE MUG CAKE

https://simple-nourished-living.com/weight-watchers-3-2-1-microwave-mug-cake/

• Charlene Marshall

April 4, 2019 at 5:37 pm

This is a great idea for a topic Katie, thanks for starting it as we all know the negative impact of white refined sugar on our bodies! I’ll check out the link you shared, along with the one Lorraine posted too. Lately I’ve had a terrible sweet tooth and don’t know why, it is quite odd for me as usually I don’t tend to crave anything, except a coffee or tea on the rare occasion and even in those I don’t take sugar. I’m grateful for your ideas!

Another one someone suggested that both kills the sweet craving and basically carb free is sugar-free jello with whipped cream on top. This seems to do it for me too when needed 🙂
    Charlene.

• Lorraine

April 5, 2019 at 10:52 am

Hi Charlene:

From time-to-time I get a sweet tooth too. And now that I have IBS, I had to give up yogurt and COFFEE. Me, a coffee addict — good thing I like tea!!!

So perhaps the challenge for us is … Antioxidant Desserts … that way we can have our cake and eat it too. That was to easy, corny — but easy.

https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/20-common-foods-most-antioxidants

https://www.unitypoint.org/livewell/article.aspx?id=1e49782d-8bf3-4347-94ed-66cdc5e6d891

https://detoxdiy.com/detox-desserts

• Charlene Marshall

April 5, 2019 at 10:58 am

Hi Lorraine,

Oh dear, I don’t think I would do well having to give up coffee. While it doesn’t often help me wake up in the morning (caffeine doesn’t seem to bother me) but I truly just enjoy the taste of coffee, so sometime I even have a cup at night. Can you have tea with IBS? My friend suffers from it as well, that stinks… again, too easy! 😉

Thanks for sharing the links – I’ll take a peak at them! I have to admit how surprised I was that sugar-free jello and whipped cream was so satisfying. Definitely give it a try if it won’t aggravate your tummy.

Enjoy your day.
    Charlene.

• Lorraine

April 5, 2019 at 7:14 pm

Hi Charlene:

Yes, giving up coffee has been hard. It took a while for me to stop drinking it. I still enjoy the smell and my IBS doesn’t seem to take offense.

In doing research on the internet, I read to try different coffee brands. I did so without success. I then tried making cold brew. As you may know, cold brew is created by steeping medium-to-coarse ground coffee in room temperature water for 12 hours or longer and then filtering out the grounds for a clean cup without sediment. Unlike regular coffee, cold brew is never exposed to heat. I liked it very much, but it did not like me. I don’t know why, I am nice. Haaa. Tea hasn’t given me a problem, so far.

Basically, I am trying to stay away from: (1) gluten, (2) dairy, (3) processed sugars, (4) alcohol and of course (5) coffee. And given that I am hypothyroid (hashimoto) for about 30 years, this diet or avoidance seems to work and for IPF too. HOWEVER, with regard to IBS — they say if you give some things up for 2-3 weeks, or some say 6 months, you can reintroduce your favs and possibly successfully. So tonight I went out with a large group of friends for dinner. And I was like hmmm, coffee — cheese — wine. So, I had a few small cubes of cheese and a decaf cappuccino. Ahh, it is the little things in life that makes me so so happy. I will see how I do tomorrow morning. And then another time, I will have a glass or perhaps two, of my fav, Cabernet sauvignon.

I too am a fan of sugar-free jello and whipped cream.

Enjoy your evening,

Lorraine

• Charlene Marshall

April 7, 2019 at 6:56 am

Hi Lorraine,

Thanks for getting back to me, and it sounds like you had a wonderful dinner out with your friends. That is great 🙂 How was the next day after having some cheese and decaf coffee? I hope it wasn’t too bad! You’re totally right about the little things in life being important for us…

I love my morning coffee, but I too have a friend who has IBS and she loves coffee but it sure doesn’t like her. She likes a tea called a “coffee Pureh” (I think that is how it is spelt) from DavidsTea which is a Canadian tea company, but I think is now in the US as well. It has the taste of coffee, but it is tea so this is how she gets her fix. Not sure if this is helpful at all?

Like you, I try to avoid the same foods simply because I know how much things like sugar can cause inflammation, which is unfortunately something I am prone to after the accident I was in. Eating well is important, although my appetite sure has changed after starting Ofev…

Hey, how did your appointment go last week? Feel free to update me in a private message (PM) if you’d rather.
    Tak care,
    Charlene.

• Katie Bagshawe

April 9, 2019 at 6:32 pm

So! I made the tea loaf and it was actually really lovely. It didn’t taste massively sweet but nice and fruity which makes for a nice change, and all the better knowing there’s no sugar in there as well. Would definitely recommend making and it was super easy to do so. I have got a picture of the finished result but I can’t get it uploaded so will share soon.

I’ll definitely try the mug cake recipe! I’ve made a few before but most of them have been rather dry so I will experiment to see if this one works out a little better.

Love a bit of sugar free jello or jelly here in the UK ha! It’s also really lovely if you can get the tubs of little meringue pieces with it? That and some tinned fruit makes a yummy sweet treat.

• Lorraine

April 9, 2019 at 9:06 pm

Hi Katie: The tea loaf does sound lovely and I am glad it is easy to make. I must try making it at some point. Stay tuned.

• Charlene Marshall

April 10, 2019 at 9:55 am

You are both making me hungry and kicking in my sweet tooth 😉
    I rarely have a sweet tooth, and don’t usually take sugar in my tea/coffee or anything like that but occasionally I get a real hankering for chocolate. And, mini eggs are out right now ahead of Easter so I am needing self-discipline around those as I love them! Perhaps I should try the tea loaf too – thanks for sharing Katie.

Cheers.

• Katie Bagshawe

April 17, 2019 at 4:33 am

So, I’ve recently joined WW (or what was known as Weight Watchers) to help me get better control of my diet and exercise and there is some really lovely simple dessert ideas, plus lower sugar cakes and buns to make.

This Jaffa Cake looks incredible and is a lighter version than making a full on cake. I would love to have a go at making this! https://www.weightwatchers.com/uk/recipe/giant-jaffa-cake/5c507441641aef002a1dc037

Has anyone also used Pinch of Nom? It’s a great website full of healthier recipes that you can use for all kinds of occasions or just general day to day eating http://pinchofnom.com/recipe/index/

• Charlene Marshall

April 17, 2019 at 8:21 am

Hi Katie,

I’ve had lots of friends have success with WW here – actually, one of them is now a spokesperson for WW as she lost 100+ lbs on their program and has turned her entire life around 🙂 Kudos to you, let us know how that goes. Also, if you try that Jaffa Cake, do report back on it… it looks yummy! Thanks for sharing the website as well re: healthier recipes. I am always looking for ways to make my favourite dishes a bit healthier (ie. substituting anything with white sugar out for something more natural like honey) or new dishes altogether. I look forward to spending some time baking this upcoming long weekend, so I’ll check out these links. Thanks for sharing!

Charlene.