Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Managing Prednisone Side Effects

• Managing Prednisone Side Effects

Posted by Charlene Marshall on February 22, 2018 at 3:59 am

Hi Forum Members,

If you’re living with IPF/PF, it is likely that at some point you have discussed the use of prednisone as a corticosteroid that can help manage your disease. You may be on a small dose regularly (like I am) or you may be prescribed it when you have an exacerbation, illness or flare up with your disease. Regardless of when you’re on it, if you’re on it then it is also likely that you are aware of it’s nasty side effects. For me, one particular side effect that has been difficult to manage is the mood swings. I really try hard to be patient, compassionate and understanding with people but I unfortunately have noticed that since increasing my prednisone dose that I feel a lot more irritable, cranky and impatient with people I come into contact with. Does anyone else feel this way? I try hard to subdue it, and do something for myself that brings me joy to try and counter these feelings but sometimes they show through, and I really dislike that. It makes me feel quite sad because this behaviour (especially the irritability) is not reflective of normal self. Truth be told, I am also not entirely sure that it is all due to prednisone, perhaps some of it is due to trying to cope with a life-threatening illness. However, I do suspect most of it is to do with the steroids, as I notice this behaviour a lot more (or my friends and family do 🙁 ) when my dosage is tampered with or changed.

If anyone can relate to this, I’d greatly appreciate hearing from you! This is especially true if you have some ideas on how to counter the abnormal behaviours that occur due to the steroids.

Charlene

Charlene Marshall replied 6 years, 2 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.