Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Medication Storage & Transport

• Medication Storage & Transport

Posted by Charlene Marshall on December 22, 2022 at 9:30 am

Hello forum members,
    I hope you’re all gearing up for the holiday season.

Since being diagnosed with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) in 2016, I’ve been on many different medications. Sometimes the dosage of one drug changes, other times I’m taken off a medication and put on another and lately, it feels like I just keep getting medications added to the regimen I’m on.

As requested by my pulmonologist, I’ve started using a nebulizer regularly. Thankfully, it is a small, handheld device that is very portable but I’m still struggling with storing and transporting all the medications I am on. At home, I keep all my inhalers, oral tablets and now my nebulizer in a basket on the counter so I see it every morning and am reminded to take them all as directed. However, with the holidays coming, I will inevitably be packing up all my medications and having to transport them.

For fellow IPF patients: how do you transport or store your medications in a way that is not cumbersome and/or make them easy to take with you? 

Donna replied 1 year, 3 months ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Margaret

December 22, 2022 at 7:28 pm

Lunch bags and small coolers come in a variety of shapes, sizes and styles. They have handles or straps for carrying and are easy to clean. Some have a variety of compartments to separate equipment like a nebulizer from prescription bottles. It’s amazing how the medications seem to multiply but I’m glad to have them.

• Donna

December 29, 2022 at 6:44 pm

I am on so many meds for different things if we have anyone come over I have to scoop them up and move them all out of site. I normally keep hem on the kitchen island one end of it. I don’t want to look like a pharmacy to someone who visits so I just put it out of site than have to bring it all back out and set it all back up again. I liked the idea of a small ice chest that is a good idea if they will fit.

• Samuel Kirton

December 24, 2022 at 5:32 pm
  • Colin O Driscoll

December 28, 2022 at 7:30 am

The hospital doing my follow-up gives patients a plastic toolbox divided into small square compartments, like the ones for keeping different kinds of screws and nuts of bolts. You just label the individual compartments.

I also have a weekly medicine box with 7 trays. Each tray has a morning midday and afternoon compartment. It’s ideal for short journeys.